Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input on the 2012 Bengal and Pantera

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. I haven't had the pleasure of setting up a Pantera to see how short it draws. I have learned enough the last few years to take little stock in what the catalog shows for draw length. Most draw longer than listed and often by as much as a full inch. What I almost always do with my bows is remove about 5 twists from the cables and add 10 to 15 twists to the string. This shortens the draw length and reduces the peak weight, changing the bow's specs, but I don't worry about specs. Doing what I do makes the Hybrix/Nitro cam smoother drawing and removes the telltale hump in the draw cycle right before the roll over. Then I set the module and the draw stop, put the bow on my draw board and fine tune it for draw length. Once I have the bow just where I want it I tune and sight in. Then I measure the draw length, a2a, brace height, draw weight, and everything else. These are the specs for MY bow.

I don't play around much with single cam bows. I cut my teeth on 4 wheel bows back in the 70's. Went to 2 wheel bows in the 80's. First 2 cam bow was a Hoyt in 1989. I shot nothing but 2 cam bows (energy wheels, really) till I joined up with Golden Eagle in 1997. 2000 thru 2003 with Pearson and nothing but single cam bows. Through that time there were a lot of issues with level nock travel, which has been corrected over time for the most part. In 2004 I joined Martin's staff and had the opportunity to go back to true dual cams and jumped at it and still shoot dual or binaries. It's a personal choice thing. You can do a lot more tweaking with dual cams and I am always tweaking something----always.

Sorry for the rant. I do this a lot. Ask some of the other guys.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Not really. I haven't had the pleasure of setting up a Pantera to see how short it draws. I have learned enough the last few years to take little stock in what the catalog shows for draw length. Most draw longer than listed and often by as much as a full inch. What I almost always do with my bows is remove about 5 twists from the cables and add 10 to 15 twists to the string. This shortens the draw length and reduces the peak weight, changing the bow's specs, but I don't worry about specs. Doing what I do makes the Hybrix/Nitro cam smoother drawing and removes the telltale hump in the draw cycle right before the roll over. Then I set the module and the draw stop, put the bow on my draw board and fine tune it for draw length. Once I have the bow just where I want it I tune and sight in. Then I measure the draw length, a2a, brace height, draw weight, and everything else. These are the specs for MY bow.

I don't play around much with single cam bows. I cut my teeth on 4 wheel bows back in the 70's. Went to 2 wheel bows in the 80's. First 2 cam bow was a Hoyt in 1989. I shot nothing but 2 cam bows (energy wheels, really) till I joined up with Golden Eagle in 1997. 2000 thru 2003 with Pearson and nothing but single cam bows. Through that time there were a lot of issues with level nock travel, which has been corrected over time for the most part. In 2004 I joined Martin's staff and had the opportunity to go back to true dual cams and jumped at it and still shoot dual or binaries. It's a personal choice thing. You can do a lot more tweaking with dual cams and I am always tweaking something----always.

Sorry for the rant. I do this a lot. Ask some of the other guys.
    That's ok some of the tuning is like a foreign language to me though. lol I wish I had someone to teach me how to super tune like that. I appreciate your replies!

Post Thanks / Like

What type of shooting do you do?
    Is it practice/target shooting in the back yard and then whitetails out of a stand during season?
    What draw weight bow are you shooting and looking at.?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    What type of shooting do you do?
    Is it practice/target shooting in the back yard and then whitetails out of a stand during season?
    What draw weight bow are you shooting and looking at.?
    Yes that is right,practice/target shooting, and deer from a stand. My Panther is 1 full turn out which should put me at 63/64#. I can shoot 50x before I need a break. So I would like to get a 70# bow so I have some adjustment. I can't decide if I want to try the shorter a2a on the Bengal or stick with the longer a2a of the Pantera. I like them both but shooting and having them in the field is a different story. After searching more on here and AT most who have either of these bows love them. Any suggestions or input is welcome! Thanks