Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly buying a firecat......need some info on how it might shoot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Possibly buying a firecat......need some info on how it might shoot.

looking at buying a 2009 firecat that has new limbs and 2011 nitro cams and strings..........
    i figure it's a good thing that it has the upgrades....
    should i assume that the limbs are barnsdales....?
    and are the cams a bit smoother....?
    and do the cams have a built in adjustable module......or will i need different mods for my 28 inch drawlength?

just want to know what i'm looking at here.
    he said it's pretty quiet, not as quiet as his mathews z7......but the z7 isn't as fast either...

Post Thanks / Like

nothing is as quiet as a mathews take that for what its worth ...

I'm sure it will be good to go. The limbs, idk think 2011 they introduced the Powertuf and the Nitro should have the adjustable module.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    looking at buying a 2009 firecat that has new limbs and 2011 nitro cams and strings..........
    i figure it's a good thing that it has the upgrades....
    should i assume that the limbs are barnsdales....?
    and are the cams a bit smoother....?
    and do the cams have a built in adjustable module......or will i need different mods for my 28 inch drawlength?

just want to know what i'm looking at here.
    he said it's pretty quiet, not as quiet as his mathews z7......but the z7 isn't as fast either...
    It is good that it has updates. The limbs are not likely Barnsdales. As DP said in 2011 it was the Powertuf limbs. The Nitro cams seem to be nice and smooth, and yes they have rotating mods that will go down to 27" DL. I think overall you'll be very happy with it.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2008 Firecat that's been updated. The draw is smoother, the bow is just as quiet as before. It was very quiet to begin with. It doesn't have the speed that it did before at the same settings, but not much slower. I think I can tinker with the cams a bit and get it back closer to what it shot before though. All in all, I'd put it up against almost any hunting bow out there for shootability. If it's not as quiet as your friends Z7, I'd say the cams are a little out of time or something.
    It should come back with the Powertough limbs and Nitro cams. They use the adjustable modules.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 09-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    All in all, I'd put it up against almost any hunting bow out there for shootability.
    I totally agree.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned and shot a 2008 FireCat with Cat cams and now having several Rytera bows with Hybrix cams I have to be honest and say I can't tell any difference between draw cycles on any of them. The Hybrix cams are identical to the Nitro cam, FYI. Just a different name. And as other alluded to, the bow will most likely have Power Tuff limbs if they are part of the 2011 update. All in all, the cams do draw pretty smoothly for a speed cam and once you have the draw stop set correctly the back wall is very solid. All these mentioned cams have the same module, a rotating one that can be adjusted in 1/2" increments.
    As EHunter said, if the cams are timed right the bow should be pretty quiet. Maybe not as quiet as your friends Z7, but I think there;s a slight price difference. About $200 of that is for the name and another $100 for the advertising (magazines, TV shows, etc).
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

A while back a friend came to our home to shoot with me on our rural back yard range. He commented on how quiet my 08 Firecat was during the shot. Later, he was visiting his brother in Florida who has a Mathews bow (not sure which one). While he was there he listened to his brother's bow and thought my bow was quieter than his brothers, at least from memory of what mine sounded like. I've also had a few others tell me they too think mine is remarkably quiet. About the only bow that I've shot that I thought might be quieter, or at least as quiet, was a $950 BowTech Invasion. It was nice to shoot but for the rather large amount of cash I'd have to shell out and for the very minimal, if any, improvement in shoot-ability and/or quietness I happily decided to stay with my Firecat. All in all I think it's a heck of a good bow that's especially hard to beat for the money.

A year ago I shot a Z7 while on a business trip to WA. It was a nice bow - no imperfections anywhere. It was also smooth and quiet. But, it was also nowhere near as fast as my Firecat and not that much quieter and way MORE costly.

So, based on what this 09 Firecat has I have little doubt you'd like it a lot.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, thanks for the input guys....

let's hear some more

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

anymore input.....

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, now you just need to go buy one!!!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com