Thread: Will 4 vanes work with a blade spring rest?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will 4 vanes work with a blade spring rest?

I'm in the middle of redoing some fletching and I'm thinking about trying 4 vanes. Has anybody here tried 4 vanes on a TT spring rest?

Last edited by Double S; 09-12-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot 4 fletch, from a recurve. Creates a lot of drag, unless you make 'em real small, try to keep the same amount of feather or vane. By that I mean that if you 3 fletch vanes total 6 sq in, make your 4 vanes equal 6 sq inches. Good luck.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I took some shots today just for giggles and see how they reacted. I was very surprised on how fast the 4 vanes recovered from the archers paradox. I shot at 20 yards, destroyed some vanes on one 4 vane arrow. 30 yards and then at 50 yards.

20 yards,

30 yards. you can see one of the feathered arrows hit odd. I think i pulled dwon to check the shot and didn't follow through properly.

50 yards. this is when i started shaking. i decided to come on in and take a break.

Post Thanks / Like

more surface area, catches more air... how much drop did you experance if any ?
    looked like the grouped well..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I readjusted about an inch or so to get the 4 vaned arrows back in circle at 50 yards. Zero at 20 yards. Not till I was moving back did I notice the drop.

Post Thanks / Like

does it give u the "fshm" sound? I did tried once wif 4 fletch, but i get sound on every shot. Maybe my skill for fletching is limited.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.