Thread: More on my Alien X

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default More on my Alien X

Well the local shop-not a Martin dealer- replaced the string with my new backup string due to wear on the upper serving and general wear. Noticed the draw stop was not located properly and allowing the cams to over rotate causing the top control cable to ride on the edge (end) of the top module. The shop checked time and called it was good but even as a new owner I know to check dual cam timing at full draw. The shop didn't have a draw board, so I rigged up a setup to check at full draw at home and they were obviously off. I think I have the cams close now. The bow holds good and accuracy is really good hiting nocks at 30 yds-ouch. I'll check time again after shooting more as I have only shot 30 or so arrows. So I traded my Mathews SB for some speed but now face noise, lotta noise. I've searched this forum and A/T and have some ideas but if anyone has eliminated the noise associated with some X's please advise. Could send it to Joel, but hope to handle it myself...TIA!
    Last edited by valkyriemc; 09-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Rytera Alien X, QC Ranger single pin, Anchor Sight, Drop zone, BSting, Stan Quatro Shootoff, 250 Maximas' 27"
    Mathews Switchback '70lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my 2012 X a couple weeks ago. I shot it a few times when I first came home. I waited until after a few days of shooting, then had a buddy come over. He thought it was quiet, but I was sure that it was not any quieter than my 2002 Cougar. I did find the e-clip on the axle was loose, and I snugged that, and the limb reinforcement bolts on the end of the limbs, I found 2 loose, so I tightened them too. I added cat whiskers and limbsavers and waxed the string after I swapped the peep out for a tubeless one, and I am very happy with how quiet it is. I also finally added the moleskin to my QAD drop away and I think that helped too. Can't wait until Oct 1 to get into the woods.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Correct cam timing plays a major part in noise reduction.
    They have to be in total sync, then the noise disappears.
    You need a mark 1/2'' from the round end of each draw mod, make sure the cables hit these at exactly the same time.
    Adjust the draw stop so the cables are just shy of bottoming out on the flat section of the mods.
    If the bow is a 2009, I found replacing the string stop rubber with one from a 2010 worked well, the earlier one was made from harder rubber.
    Also, making sure the stop rod is not bottomed out in the riser hole helps.
    I shortened my rod a little and put some memory foam in the hole before reinstalling the rod.
    Cats wiskers on the string, and the bow is quiet and vibration free.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, like Englishkev said timing is the most important function. I have a Nemesis and had to adjust the STS as it was to far from the string from the shop. My STS is about 1/16th from the string and I put a Bowjax Slimjax on the STS rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the all the info

Been working on it in the evenings. I was looking at the control cables thinking these are odd- not positioned corectly? Well guess what? My shop misrouted the control cables! Found a pic of an X on this board and corrected them. Syncronization was naturally off again so I'm dealing with that. The stopper rod was already shortened and the bumper (soft) is 1/16" off string. Draw stop was readjusted per above post. Going to mark the modules as suggested and then adjust. I may just have to look at the whole setup again, but then I dont actually have the basic set up on string and control cable re number of twists for this bow. The string does not have any suppressors -yet. The joys of used equipment...
    Last edited by valkyriemc; 09-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Rytera Alien X, QC Ranger single pin, Anchor Sight, Drop zone, BSting, Stan Quatro Shootoff, 250 Maximas' 27"
    Mathews Switchback '70lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valkyriemc View Post
    Been working on it in the evenings. I was looking at the control cables thinking these are odd- not positioned corectly? Well guess what? My shop misrouted the control cables! Found a pic of an X on this board and corrected them. Syncronization was naturally off again so I'm dealing with that. The stopper rod was already shortened and the bumper (soft) is 1/16" off string. Draw stop was readjusted per above post. Going to mark the modules as suggested and then adjust. I may just have to look at the whole setup again, but then I dont actually have the basic set up on string and control cable re number of twists for this bow. The string does not have any suppressors -yet. The joys of used equipment...
    Don't worry valkyriemc, you're on the right forum now. Guys on this board will help you get it right. Then we'll see what bow is quieter.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade