Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending bow off for tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sending bow off for tuning

I just can't wrap my head around this. Guys that go out and drop a fortune on a bow and they can't tune it themselves? They have to send it off to someone or go to a shop to have them set it all up and tune it for them. Unreal. End rant.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay Dp, stop your rantings. You'll put me out of business. I have a few bows down stairs that the owners don't have a clue how to tune one bit so they hand them to me.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I get it, but some people should take some steps to at least learning some of the stuff themselves. This was prompted by "Who should I send a Hoyt To?"

Really dude, you buy a Hoyt and you can't do anything yourself ... come on man.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! that's the bow I have down stairs. Not! But it is a Hoyt.

Yuck!!!!

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Okay Dp, stop your rantings. You'll put me out of business. I have a few bows down stairs that the owners don't have a clue how to tune one bit so they hand them to me.

Hutch
    Sounds like a typical big 3 owner ... go out and spend a ton on a bow because it is the cool thing to do and you have no clue how it operates ... hi5

last comment

Post Thanks / Like

I am no newbie to archery but I must admit to occasionally having to go to the pro shop. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I have become more self sufficient. I did not have a mentor to show me the ins and outs of tuning. If a newbie does not have a go to guy, I would suggest getting the book Tuning & Silencing Your Bowhunting Shooting System by Larry Wise. It has been very useful to me. I also ask alot of questions when I get around fellow archers. Now if I could just get a decent rest.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Sounds like a typical big 3 owner ... go out and spend a ton on a bow because it is the cool thing to do and you have no clue how it operates ... hi5

last comment
    Yeah but I like their Money

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around this. Guys that go out and drop a fortune on a bow and they can't tune it themselves? They have to send it off to someone or go to a shop to have them set it all up and tune it for them. Unreal. End rant.
    Could you tune your bow when you first came to this site Ryan? I know that I had no clue, in fact I got my Slayer and it had some cam lean, a really simple thing on a X rigged bow, but I came to this site and began asking questions and learning. Been here ever since, and have no fear of taking a bow apart if need be. With what I've learned from guys on this site, I've super tuned all the grandkids bows, and every bow that I've had since. Most guys don't know much more than " who do I send my bow to get it supertuned?" Just read the posts on AT, almost every thing you'll read is an echo from someone else. We get spoiled here, guys here take the time to explain what and why and we take the time to read and understand what we are reading.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Yep just put in a new set of spark plugs, she running hot now.... oh wait thats the truck
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I;m reading some good converstaions here. You guys get along well, and what's more learn from one another. I feel the same way about guys buying bows and don't even know how to adjust the draw weight let alone something more "complicated", like slide their peep up or down the string to align it to their eye. To me it's sad, not that they don't know anything, but makes me wonder who is guiding these people with the equipment choices.

In all my years of shooting, hunting and competitive shooting I think the one biggest mistake people make is doing all their practice in their back yard. For one thing it's boring and another is that chances to learn anything are remote unless a person has some sort of mechanical aptitude and desire to learn. I always adize people to do some homework and find a local archery club to join. Get involved, do some 3D or target shooting and learn from some of the better shooters who I can almost guarantee are willing to "pass it on", just like I do today.

Part of learning how to work on bows is not just doing it to save money. It's just the idea of learning how these things work so you can recognize when something changes you can undeerstand what's causing problems. Even if you can't fix it at least you'll know whether it's something simple or something requiring the attention of the pro shop. One other good thing is that you'll have some idea of whether your bow shop is doin right by you or just blowing smoke up your behind and ripping your wallet apart.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver