Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sending bow off for tuning

Post Thanks / Like

seriously when i first started archery at the archery range, where you pay and have a wooden bow and a coach to teach you about shooting.
    I never though so much of a bow knowledge can go so deep under.
    Fletcher, bow press, vanes, arrow tips, knocks, inserts, cutter... so and so...

at first, definately we only think a bow and a few arrow will get to a happy shooting.

THEN starting to pickup and compound bow to enjoy this sport. i realize there is so many things to learn, and also equipment to buy along learning and educating myself.

Now i end up bunch of stuff in the closet that to support shooting, beside the bow.
    Lucky i dont built my own string and cable. this one leave to Hutch~n~Son to figure it out.

So no suprise, where there is ppl, have the $$$ and yet to be educated in archery, they send their bow for tuning, and anything, and as time goes by, they will one day knows, oooh... it just that easy to do it....
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I said I wouldn't comment on this anymore, but case in point ... pay attention to the signature.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1858466
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I know I said I wouldn't comment on this anymore, but case in point ... pay attention to the signature.

blink blink....
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

You just ruined this thread!! LOL

Seriously, I don't have anything against those that buy more expensive bows, but everyone could save themselves money by doing most of the work on their bows themselves.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always wonder who they are geting their advice from. They could just as easily buy a $400 bow and spend the rest of that hard earned cash on a good coach. Join an archery club and start paying attention to the better target shooters who are usually more than glad to pass along things they've learned. Some don't know how to work on a bow and some of those don't want to learn.

There are a couple sayings I like to repeat. A man who never tried anything never made a mistake. And a man who never made a mistake never learned anything. In both cases it's usually out of fear of failure or laziness.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well in the long run it doesn't matter about the expense you spend on a bow. If you don't know how to work on a bow you'll need someone who can. I have a guy that is coming over this after noon to have a d loop put on one bow and a module put in another bow. He's a Machinist/Spay booth painter. So you know he can do it or figure it out, but chooses not too. I also have another guy who doesn't touch his bow except to shoot it. He's willing to slap $100 to $200 at me and say fix it. He's a Meat cutter and has no time so it's easier to send it out. Also working on bows is not as easy as some think. There are a lot of quirks and details you have to remember. I have had one guy who did all his own work on his bow. Well lets just say thought he did what was right. But in the long run we straightened it out for him and guided him on his way. I truly believe you can learn how to do anything if you want but some don't want. The best place to start if you not mechanically inclined is here. I have learned a lot off this forum. A good reference book is Nuts and bolts http://archeryhistory.com/archerytal...of_Archery.pdf

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

A d-loop!? ffs man! I can understand the module if he doesn't have a press and it isn't an adjustable. Don't get me wrong - take their money and run Bill ... but I just can't get past this. Should have at least a general idea of how things work so if something breaks or goes wonky and you are out on a trip and no where near a shop, you can at least get it functioning again. Oh well.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Should have at least a general idea of how things work so if something breaks or goes wonky and you are out on a trip and no where near a shop, you can at least get it functioning again. Oh well.
    they will come to the extent searching, and posting "Im looking for backup bow price range from blah blah blah to blah blah blah... incase my bow fail while hunting" any good recommendation???.

so they will have backup bow instead of learning.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite frankly they usually have one or two back up bows. He brings in all three and has my go through all of them then he is all set to hunt the year. His time is very limited. Less time working on a bow more time in the field.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

One more reason to buy a Martin Bow, they are the easiest bows to break down for maintainence of any kind. I hope Martin will continue to build bows in the future that someone can work on without alot of expensive tools, like a bow press. Esp. if you live 2hrs or more from a (Proshop).