Thread: First blood X3....

Post Thanks / Like

Default First blood X3....

Wabbit and I got back on Friday night from a week of deer hunting in north central WA. I took my first deer with my new Cougar FC, Wabbit took his first with his Onza 3 and our buddy took his first with a bow. This is where I really need to thank Martin for makeing the FC so easly adjustable. Our buddy has a Bowtech Genral (sorry for swearing) that Neither Wabbit or I could get to tune to save our lives (viens are hitting the cable, something is not right). We where able to adjust my Cougar FC in matter of 90 minutes total from 70#'s at 30 1/4" true draw to about 57#'s and 29" draw and tune it for GT 5575 arrows. Thanks to Wabbit for the help with that. Long story short, our buddy was able to tak his first deer with my bow and not waste his season.

My deer:

She was standing broadside 51 yards away and didnt have a care in the world. With my first shot, the string hit my sleeve sending the arrow to the right and hitting a tree. a Piece of bark flew over the does head and she still just stood there. As I nocked another arrow our buddy took a shot and the arrow hit the ground 20 yards in front of her. She still didnt move (she wasnt that smart I guess). I got my second arrow nocked and as I drew back the sleeve knocked it off the string. I got the arrow to fall to the ground, re-nocked it and drew again making sure to hold my arm out so it didnt hit the sleeve again. Put my pin in the pocket and let her fly. The string still hit my sleeve slightly but the arrow was only back a little bit. Liver shot. The blood trail was fantastic and she only went about 100 yards or so. I hit something important.

Our buddies deer:

I take parial blame, heres why.

The doe was standing at 30 yards quartering hard towards us. He asked if he should take the shot, I told him I would wait but it was up to him. He drew and I told him where to aim. he let the arrow fly. As she took off I could see the front leg was broken and it looked like he had hit her too low. We gave her some time and looked for the arrow. No luck.No arrow, no blood, no hair. I decided that we would take a drive and waste some time. My buddy was sure that he saw the fletchings sticking out of her as she ran down the hill. On our way back to camp, we took another look and found some convincing sign. Still no blood, but I felt like we had a direction and a little drainage to focus out search in. We ran down to camp, talked it over with Wabbit and all decided to take one last solid look to locate her. After about 45 minutes and 200 yards our buddy found some blood on a ranchers road bed. We started to follow a trail and just kind of fan out knowing she would be in that bottom someplace. Our buddy that shot her found her another 150 yards down the drainage and was totally stocked. Wabbit and I were super happy we found her.

I will leave it at that and Wabbit I am sure will continue with his story..............

Sorry guy's, Wabbit and I were too stupid to remember to take pics.
    "When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." -Fred Bear

2012 Martin Cougar FC, Fury XT cam
    CE PileDriver arrow, 535 grains
    Speed: unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deerchser View Post

Sorry guy's, Wabbit and I were too stupid to remember to take pics.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to both of you on the early deer.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

interesting...

too bad no pic....

Congratz....
    Last edited by daiwateampenn; 09-24-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add-on
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good hunt, every one was succesfull. Congratulations to all. Now as long time forum posters, both of you know thw photo rule, how is it you forgot to take pics?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I have to clarify, this was not my first deer, but the Onza's first deer... and I apologize for not taking pics, but as it was simply a doe, the thought was not there until too late.

But so that you don't feel completely gypped, here is a pic for you:

backstrap.jpg

Backstraps anyone?

On another note, this was not only a successful deer hunt, but the Onza actually cut its teeth and drew first blood on 2 grouse.

It did however have a fleeting moment when it thought it's first kill was going to be a 3 point white tail, but the damn thing was too quick and even though it was broadside @ 63 yards, the deer was no longer in the same position when the arrow got there... I swear to God that it ducked and rolled so hard it's belly touched the ground, and the broadhead BARELY missed right above him... If I had aimed lower I would have had a double lunger and some pics to show you along with a trophy on my wall.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you guys on the kills but more importantly keeping up on tracking them down. Thumbs up!.