Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to doe or not to doe that is the question

Post Thanks / Like

Default to doe or not to doe that is the question

Ok guys give me your opinion. I am hunting 2 tracks, 5 and 20 acres. There are lots of does, too many. Opening day is Saturday. If I shoot a doe I risk blowing the stand for a week at least. I like to keep them around and unsuspecting until the end of the rut in mid November in hopes I can lure in a buck. But if I wait things might go south and I might not get a shot.
    What would you do?
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Fill the freezer.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Fill the freezer.

A.S
    Our season starts this weekend, I have two places to hunt as well. My plan is to try and take a doe early and return to the same place when the rut kicks in around mid November. The other place I know is holding large bucks so I will hunt just bucks only. That's the plan, but you know what they say about best laid plans.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a doe early, the area will have time to settle down way before the rut kicks in.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot an old mature doe. I have shot bucks within 2 days of shooting does out of the same stand. Just don't leave a big gut pile laying right in the middle of everything. That attracts coyotes, and that'll ruin the deer hunting for a week or so. If I plan on hunting the same stand for bucks, I always drag the deer, or at least the gut pile a couple hundred yards away. Alot of times, I'll sneak in the next morning and hunt over the gut pile for coyotes. lol
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger I would shoot the first thing that came into bow range, now the the only thing I want to drag out of the woods is a buck so it's a personal thing if you are just starting out the best thing to do is a doe and learn about the shot and after the shot is take a doe live and learn so to speak. If you out to fill the freezer go for it
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I have killed plenty of deer. I am just real paranoid about contaminating the area; remember I take a pee jug w/ me. The two I shot last year I hauled home and gutted em there then hauled the guts off. I think the deer sensed that there was death in the air. I don't know. It is supposed to rain so if it does I, will try to arrow one.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Take a doe early, the area will have time to settle down way before the rut kicks in.
    More the better. If there is an abundance of does - the bucks will have their pick of the litter, you may never see any of them if there are too many does running around. When you have fewer does in a concentrated area - the bucks have to come to them if they want the tail, make sense? It's all about keeping the ratio as close as possible.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    More the better. If there is an abundance of does - the bucks will have their pick of the litter, you may never see any of them if there are too many does running around. When you have fewer does in a concentrated area - the bucks have to come to them if they want the tail, make sense? It's all about keeping the ratio as close as possible.
    yep take out a doe now ... less is more
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

They dont give enough tags for me to get them under control. I have not seen and do not have any buck pics. The neighbors shoot the first deer w/ horns they see and let the does walk. Silly peeps dont know how hard it is to cook them horns.
    2010 G5 Quest Primal