Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: to doe or not to doe that is the question

Post Thanks / Like

I can say with absolute certainty that I will be taking the first doe that gives me an opportunity - opening day or first sit - don't matter. Get one done and in the freezer and keep sharp for any bigger bucks that come by. Don't get me wrong, if I get a good opportunity at a buck while a doe is present, I'll take the buck
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

In a state where we get One deer Un less we drawa doe tag( i did not) I too am down for taking the 1st nice doe / buck you get a shot on. Given the chance in our now closed early season I would have taged out ina heart beat...meat is meat. That you dont by at safeway . same go for a cow elk
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    In a state where we get One deer Un less we drawa doe tag( i did not) I too am down for taking the 1st nice doe / buck you get a shot on. Given the chance in our now closed early season I would have taged out ina heart beat...meat is meat. That you dont by at safeway . same go for a cow elk
    See I'm in the same boat as Elkslayer; Washington is only one deer tag/year unless you put in for the multiple deer tag. Then it's by draw only and the units available to hunt 2nd animal are few and far between.

Therefore, I usually spend the first couple days of deer season hoping for a buck, and the last few days (I only take about 10 days/year and travel 4 hours to get to camp) hoping for a shot at any deer.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

We can take six deer in my zone one antlered and the rest antlerless. I have a tag for a buck and one for a doe/antlerless most of my trail cam pics have been does so I hope to get one early. Don't get me wrong a decent buck comes by I will take the shot. There is no way my wife and I would consume six deer so two is plenty for my needs or wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    See I'm in the same boat as Elkslayer; Washington is only one deer tag/year unless you put in for the multiple deer tag. Then it's by draw only and the units available to hunt 2nd animal are few and far between.

Therefore, I usually spend the first couple days of deer season hoping for a buck, and the last few days (I only take about 10 days/year and travel 4 hours to get to camp) hoping for a shot at any deer.
    Remind me to never move to Washington ...
    REAL AVID Field Staff

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer!!!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are curious, I did not seal the deal. Got rained out Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon, the sky opened up the nearest storm was 100 miles away, then blam...3,421,802 gallons of rain dropped on me.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I have shoot doe only to end up blowing a shot at a buck that was coming up from behind
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    I have shoot doe only to end up blowing a shot at a buck that was coming up from behind
    I've passed on plenty of doe thinking a buck was trailing behind based on their posture and behavior ... only to be left with nothing coming. Don't plan to do that much anymore unless I've already got one tagged.
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I used to shoot 5 deer a year I alway gave at lease 2 of them away to familys that needed some help after I cut them up the rest I make trail bologna, hot stick & jerky
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER