Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden String Twist/Untwist?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sudden String Twist/Untwist?

Guys,

Something strange happened during my practice session today. It seems that the factory Hammerhead string has twisted almost one full turn out of the blue. It also looks like the serving around the idler wheel has started to fray.

Could the serving fray cause the string to twist or vise versa? Can't figure out what's happening.
    I've shot the bow a bunch since I purchased it in Feb/March without issue.

Do the strings just twist or untwist suddenly, I've never experienced this before. Is it a simple fix to add twist and/or redo my peep?

Is it time for a custom string? Will? Why does this stuff have to happen a week before the season starts?

Thanks any help is appreciated,
    Andy...
    "I love animals....they're delicious!!"

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Andy, the idler serving is loose and causing the string to twist. To reserve it will need to be put under 300lbs of tension. But before that you need to check you idler wheel for the reason it is frayed. Run a cotton ball around the idler and find any burrs. Then take a Emory file and take out the sharp edges. But it does look like time to re serve or a custom string. If you can post a pic. That would help.

Hutch
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 09-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

serving fray can cause twist, and broken string also causes twist, because the string tend to get longer.

Could be the time for you to get a new custom made bow string and cable.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pics. No press here. I'll have to take it to a local shop. To see about reserving that section. If it costs too much I'll probably have you build me one Will.

IMG_4724 (600x800).jpgIMG_4725 (600x800).jpgIMG_4729 (800x600).jpg

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That clear halo is toast! Reserving is a must.. But when you have the string off find out why it got frayed.
    If you need a string set pm me and I will get it out asap.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Call Hutch asap that string is toast.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it relatively easy to take the string off without a press? I know I just have to turn down the limb bolts, but is there anything special I should know about?

Post Thanks / Like

No just back them out 2-3 at a time alternating top and bottom. Keep a count on how many you have done. Keep an eye on the barrel nut to see when you can see space through and then stop. They are still a little tight when it is loosened up because the size of the cam, but you can get it off. Use one hand to rotate the cam a little to get some more slack and the other to take the string off the peg.

By the looks of that, you wheel looks like it has to have a rough spot on it or you got a lot of lean causing that. Mine is a little buffed, but not like that and I've been shooting the snot out of it since April. As soon as season closes Bill will be getting a call from me for sure.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think it may have been self induced. I was waxing my sting and I believe I either buffed the wax in too much (got too hot and melted) or the plastic rim of the wax tube was exposed and nicked it. Shortly after that application of wax is when I noticed it. Pay attention out there guys but I'll chech the wheel for burs also.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't wax your servings.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff