Thread: Limb deflection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Limb deflection

Hi guys. Just a question on Martin limb deflection. I see that the CougarFC 70# must have the 5M limbs, mine has the 5L limbs? is this a problem? What is the difference between the M and L, is it only deflection?

Will post pics soon of my first all black bow!

Thanks and kind regards!
    May the love and grace of God help us not to miss our purpose in life.
    2011 Onza 3, 70# 27.75" APG camo
    2012 Cougar FC 70# 27.75" Carbon Black

Post Thanks / Like

L, M, H. Low, Medium, High. There's about 2# difference between them. If 5M limbs yield 70# then 5L would be right about 67 or 68#, but being as most bows go over the max by a pound or two then 5L might just give you 70# anyway. If it doesn't then it's simply a matter of adding a few twists to the cable(s) to bring that weight up to snuff.

For instance, on the 2012 Nemisis I got this year with Barnesdale limbs with a 175 deflection it was supposed to be 50# peaked, but actually came through at 54.1#. Granted these were Barnesdale limbs but the application is the same with Martin limbs.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

joelc

Limb deflection numbers are used when the bow is originally built here at the factory. These numbers change frequently due to spec changes and parts on hand. No where is it written that one bow must have a particular limb size or another.

As mentioned above, the difference between letters is approx 2-3 lbs. For example...a 50 lb. bow from the factory could have a weight range of 48-54 lbs. If the bow calls for a "2L" limb, a 1H will hit approx. 48 lbs., a 2M will hit 52 lbs., and the 2H will hit 54 lbs. What is the correct limbs for a 50 lb. bow? All of the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, you guys have made my day! Thought the differences were much bigger.
    May the love and grace of God help us not to miss our purpose in life.
    2011 Onza 3, 70# 27.75" APG camo
    2012 Cougar FC 70# 27.75" Carbon Black

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?

So I can have a 3m on the top and a 5m on the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coastie hunter View Post
    So I can have a 3m on the top and a 5m on the bottom?
    Not really. Both limbs must have the same deflection code. As you describe it you could end up with 10# difference between the top and bottom, creating quite an imbalance.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks bfisher

Thanks bfisher cracked a limb last week on tuesday had my bow back by thursday. I was happy about that but bow is not tunning like it was not happy about that thats why I hate going through a dealer I will call joel today and see if he can send me limbs direct to my house. I can't blame the dealer it's all free work and I did not buy the bow from him I guess he thaught it was good enough.

joelc

Quote Originally Posted by coastie hunter View Post
    Thanks bfisher cracked a limb last week on tuesday had my bow back by thursday. I was happy about that but bow is not tunning like it was not happy about that thats why I hate going through a dealer I will call joel today and see if he can send me limbs direct to my house. I can't blame the dealer it's all free work and I did not buy the bow from him I guess he thaught it was good enough.
    We can't send the limb directly to you unless we receive the old ones back first. If you go through a dealer they can be sent almost immediately (depending on stock on-hand)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Joel

Thanks Joel I will go back to the dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to this thread I caught that all is good I brought the bow back to the dealer and I am sure I will have it back buy the weekend. I wasted alot of time tuning this week next time I will check the # 1st. Funny thing is I was shooting 50yrds spot on with field tp and broadheads yesterday my dealer could not belive it. although my pin gap got alot bigger always learning thats the good thing.