Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swhackers SUCK!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Swhackers SUCK!!!!!!!!

Anyone reading this may remember that I did a broadhead test on the 100 Grain Swhacker, a few months ago. At the time I was fairly impressed with the perpetration, and performance........well that has all changed!!.

I went hunting with them....but I didn't check every broadhead to make sure they were sharp. The one I did the test on months ago was sharp....so like an idiot, I figured they all were ,...... WRONG!!!

Someone posted that they had bought some and they were dull. I checked 2 of the 6 and they were sharp...the rest were dull as hell!!

As you can guess the one that I shot a decent 8 point with was dull . I was fortunate enough to find the deer, but only because of my determination. The shot was a little far back(liver), but if the broadhead had gone all of the way through, I would have easily recovered the deer.
    The broadhead only went it about 10". The tip broke off, and all that it hit was a couple of ribs, on the way in. The broadhead stuck in the liver.
    Very little blood to track... for about 300 yds.

I should have checked each and every broadhead......or maybe I should have listened to Thermodudes' advise. I was lucky this time....but the end result, even though it surprised me was that.......SWHACKERS SUCK!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

shoot fixed blades man, magnus, buy you a sharpener and keep them sharp, the serrated edge of the magnus buzz cut cuts like a knife, and they have a lifetime warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Cool DZSMITH...You may be right

I am not convinced that expandables all suck, just the Swhacker! I used an inexpensive expandable last year. Carbon Express to be exact.
    It worked really well......though the fixed blade Carbon express I tried, didn't.
    That being said. I looked at the Magnus and also the Phats...they both look good and worth consideration.....thanks for the input!!

Post Thanks / Like

G5 T3 ... only thing in my quiver for the time being.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot 6 deer with the 100 gr. Swhacker. 5 complete pass throughs and 1 was sticking out both sides. Averaged no more than 50-60 yards of tracking, besides one that I ponched and recovered the next day. I've seen good and bad reviews but have personally had all devasting wound channels.
    Last edited by Footballfreak13; 10-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    2011 Onza 3 - 70# Skullz camo, QAD, HHA ultra, Gold tip velocitys

Post Thanks / Like

Have never had any problem with the 3 blade Muzzys , including getting it tuned to my bow, like had been said 100's of time, if its not broken, why fix it? Just sayin.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Aldenjj, in past years I used various braodhead' to include the SwhCoconino-20120920-00052.jpgacker and yes, I was not impressed. I remember your post and took some of your comments to the ranger with some broadheads. Saying that I can't tell ya that I been using Slick Trick the past few years with great success. I've harvested several deer and two elk with the Slick Trick Mag 100g and Razor Trick 100g. I shot a nice 3X3 mule deer with a Razor trick with a 2012 Pantera at 80 yards, the broadhead was spot on. The deer only went 15 yards as it was hit oblique and past though the liver, bottom of the lungs and the exit whole was very large. The 6X6 Elk this year that I shot at 65 yards with a Fire Cat 400 and a Slick Trick Mag 100g, the head blew though the should and hit the heart. One of the fins on the blade did bend when it hit the shoulder but still penetrated. Not trying to sell ya on Slick Trick but they fly like field tips. I've had to do no tuning on broadheads since I started using Slick Trick products.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Tosi Thanks!

thanks for the comments , and suggestions. I am not sure what I will use from here. I have had good luck with both fixed and expandable blades....just not the Swhacker. I am not saying that a sharp Swhacker will not work ...but being dull brand new is just unacceptable!!!!
    At this point I have a short list of possibles Magnus Buzzcuts, Phats,and Slicktrick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aldenjj View Post
    thanks for the comments , and suggestions. I am not sure what I will use from here. I have had good luck with both fixed and expandable blades....just not the Swhacker. I am not saying that a sharp Swhacker will not work ...but being dull brand new is just unacceptable!!!!
    At this point I have a short list of possibles Magnus Buzzcuts, Phats,and Slicktrick.
    Good choice to look at. The phats heads were good when I tested them; maybe better than the Slick Trick on penetration, I just didn't want to play with tuning "So I will stick with Slick Trick with my set up". If some folks are reading this it may be misleading. I will say that arrow selection and weight is a big part of blade penetration. I've had better penetration with and arrow that weight's around 430g and the Easton Axis End-Fussed using a Bar5 ring. Good Luck and let me know how your turn out with the blades
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Arrow Weight

Tosi: Thanks for the advise. I was thinking about arrow weight. My set up with broadhead is 375 grains....so I don't know if fixed, or expandable are best. I am shooting:

2011 Exile
    60 lb. Draw
    29.25 draw length
    285 fps
    375 grain arrow{with Broadhead).....anyone have ideas about type of broadhead for that set up, by all means let me know!!!