Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Removing broken allen heads

Post Thanks / Like

hey bro,

have you put your hand on the screw yet? if not, i got this advice for you.

i always got strip or broken allen, screw, nut... etc, in my car, and also my shotgun once.

wat i did, i asked my friend, who own a workshop doing welding and soldering.

he infact, use a small rod, according to him, bronze rod is recommended (its harder interms of flexis), solder the screw together with the bronze rod, let it cool down. and u can strip the screw by turning the bronze rod.

he did it for my shotgun sxs little tiny strip screw in the firing pin area. he did it for me on my car cyclinder head cover nut.

can give a try, but u need someone is good in soldering or welding.
    Last edited by daiwateampenn; 10-04-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo error
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Attachment 7196

For those that can't picture it, this is what I'm working with. I'd like to get the allen head out and save the mod screw if I can - otherwise, I'll use the bit to drill out the screw itself from the backside and find a replacement.
    The pic says it all. I'd get agressive with it. Center punch the broken allen wrench and drill the sucker out starting with a smaller drill and work your way up. Drill the whole head off. Remove the other screw and remove the module. The screw you are working with should stick out far enough that you can use a pair of pliers on it. Getting another screw should not be a problem as any good hardware store should have one---button head cap screw.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the follow ups on this. I think that is what I'm gonna do Barry. Makes the most sense to just use a drill to back out the whole screw and then drop a new one in. I'm not overly concerned with it right now because it is for sure tight otherwise the allen probably wouldn't have snapped. I don't have to move the module or anything - but was going to give it one more look for any edges before I got going on the season. Like to give all my stuff one last check before I start getting it out in the woods.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up ... I got it out! I was out shooting a little bit ago getting a warmup in for this afternoon and checking sights, etc in case anything moved since last being in the woods. Got a wild hair up the rear to try 1 more time to get that little bugger out of there. There was a enough of a lip on the broken ball head that I was able to put a flathead screwdriver on it and lightly tap it with a hammer and it rolled itself out. So happy I don't have to drill out the mod screw and find a replacement now.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is great news Dp. I agree no drilling is better.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    That is great news Dp. I agree no drilling is better.

Hutch
    x2 That's the way to do it.

One of my screw heads stripped, so I had to drill it out. I drilled the head of the screw out, and was able to use pliers to unscrew the threaded part.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com