Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: exile question

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to get more speed out of a bow you need to advance tune it. I have done several of them including mine. It involves changing the strings, cutting down on the servings. Adjusting the bow to all the correct specs. Then add speed nocks. Teak the timing, single cam or hybrid. I just did a bow that was pushing 278fps to 280 ish. When we were done and it did take some time it was doing 291fps. Every bow will give you its best if it is set up for its best.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Basically get what you give ... put the time into setting it up right and you'll be rewarded with performance. Something I have planned for my Bengal in the off-season a new set of strings that are optimized for performance with as little serving as necessary to keep them safe.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    Be careful, I've already wounded a doe this year with my exile , you better make a perfect( not good) shot it better be broadside . I wouldn't shoot over 30 with it either , I was highly disappointed, I shoot voctory Vap arrows and Magnus broahheads . At 24 yards I got only like 8inches deep. My bow is cranked to 70. Maybe I hit shoulder, but at that close with those Vap arrows it should blow through and it didn't
    Really??????
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    It sounds to me like you hit the shoulder bone, with that shallow penetration out of a 70# compound. What broadhead were you using?
    Magnus stinger killer be buzzcut, that's what I was thinking to man, she was quartering away to much and I didn't hit far back enough. I looked again yesterday tracked blood bout 125 yards couldn't find any after that not my dog

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 2011 Exile

I have a 2011 Exile, with the standard cable slide. I did a broadhead test, earlier this year..using 100 grain Swhackers. the bow is:
    60# draw
    victory 400 arrows
    285fps
    67lb kinetic energy
    The broadhead blew through a metal garbage can, that had 2 one gallon milk jugs. One filled with sheet rock mud, one with red colored water....the arrow sunk into a 3/4" piece of plywood...almost went straight through.
    those bows have plenty of power........just make sure that you broadheads are SHARP!!!!!
    I say that because a shot an 8 pointer a few weeks back, with the same set up. I almost lost the deer. The arrow didn't go all of the way through....turns out the broadhead was dull!!!
    I guess you need to check every broadhead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shot placement shot placement shot placement....

As Barry said earlier anything 40# and up with a good broadhead will kill big game in the US. As such, my buddy was having problems with his Bowtech at camp this year, so after Deerchser tagged his deer, we took his 70# '12 Cougar with the Fury cams down 1.5" and 15# to about 55# so our buddy could use it.

Shooting Muzzy's at a deer 30 yds quartering hard to, the arrow went in just in front of the shoulder (barely missed the bone), burying up to the fletchings. With the entry hole plugged and no exit, the doe was a pain to track, and on a down hill run in a draw she went probably 500 yds. But she was dead dead dead. 55# the hard way did the job. I guarantee that if he had waited for her to turn and taken a broadside shot it would have been a through and through....

Moral of the story is that you definitely can NOT blame the bow for poor shot placement and penetration.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

The bow is definitely not the reason for the unfound deer. I own a 2011 exile and it is shooting a 363 grain Easton bloodline at 296 fps. As for the cam question, I wouldn't change to the fury cam, the accu-trak is plenty fast enough and smooth enough for those of us who are on a budget or have kids, etc. hopefully by the en of the year I'll have a 2013 alien. But as far as the exile, tune it right and it will treat you right.