Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My son's Savage Model 10 .243 rifle. He's ready!.

Post Thanks / Like

Second day is over with. Crazy!. We didn't come across or glass any other hunter. It's been raining and there was a cold breeze. We didn't see not one deer most of the day, not a doe yearling or buck until we where coming down the mountain. There were some does and yearlings, and a couple non legal bucks out there. Not one legal 3 point buck to be seen. My neighbor Mike had seen a small 3 point buck at last light yesterday come down a certain path but it was too dark to shoot. So we planned on heading up the mountain where theirs a plateau and we would set up an ambush on him. We had a great vantage point...not one deer came by at all. We had a good 800 yard circle view around...Nothing. not even other hunters. Then it started raining. I like to take pics but forgot my Iphone at home but had another camera on me.

I got the MIGHTY HUNTER in a Pic!. he took the Elk Mountain Slip System and his sweater and propped up against a bush to get out of the winds and rain. it kept him and his Iphone dry. LOL. If a deer came by it would have been the safest deer around.

Mike and I stood watch in the rain. I really was hoping to get a buck for Mike. Being that he got laid off on Friday. It would have helped with filling his freezer. he has to return to the city tomorrow. I was hoping he would stay longer and we would go out again while my son is in school, rifle season is only till the 21ist. I asked him if he might be interested in trying bowhunting. I told him that i would see if i could get my PSE bow fixed and drop the DW to 50 and see if it would be something he would be interested in. I didn't tell him but If he liked it, I am gonna give it to him. I told him Hunting during archery season is way different that rifle season. I think I peeked his interest. He's a WW2 rifle collector and is actually hunting with a Russian Mossin nagant rifle with no Scope.

Last edited by Double S; 10-15-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Better luck next week-end. Those 10 day seasons are tough to hunt when you've got school to attend.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

It was a really close one this evening. Something happened that I didn't train him for. We had about 8 deer come down the hill really tight together. My neighbor took a Doe down just twenty minutes earlier. The deer bunched up and were watching him. They came in broadside on the hill at 50 yards. Gabriel couldn't get a good lock on the buck. He had the Magnification down to the lowest setting. I told him if he wasn't sure or if another deers might get hit...don't shoot. He didn't just to be safe. We had about 15 minutes of legal time left and it was already cloudy when they bunched up and came down together. We have three days left before the season is over for him. We are staying positive. We did go down and we helped my neighbor with his Doe with gutting and skinning and dragging. That's the second neighbor and friend we've helped. Good things come to those that help others.

This was earlier at the start of our afternoon hunt after my son came home from school.
    if you look above the front part of the rifle scope you'll see a little orange. It's another hunter on State land. We made glass to glass and hand wave contact to make sure we knew of each other and our locations.