View Poll Results: If you were to purchase a new Martin in 2013, would you pick a solid or split limb?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do me a solid Martin!

8 23.53%
  • Split it up cause more is better!

7 20.59%
  • Either way its a Martin and I'd love it!

19 55.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The split decision...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see the rest of what is going to be available before I decide if I were to go with a split vs solid 2013 bow. I'd definitely like to look at the 2013s and consider purchasing one, but after receiving the Bengal this year, that might be hard to do.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

droppixel.........

if you sell your bengal...
    let me know

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    droppixel.........

let me know
    Me first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    One of Martins biggest draws is the ability to work on your bow without a bowpress and to actually get parts from the factory without driving 2 hrs to a bow shop that dosen't really want to work on or sell Martin Bows. KISS!!!!!!!
    Speed and Quiteness are Not the most important things, my 2011 Onza is plenty quiet with nothing more than some whiskers on it.
    x2
    By the way I bet that the split limbs bow will stand alone in the Martin line for 2013.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Me first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hutch
    Since when did you become ambidextrous?

Post Thanks / Like

What makes ya'all think that you wont be able to back the limb bolts off enough to change strings on an X4.?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never owned a split limb bow. I have nothing against split limbs, it just turned out that way. I trust that the smart folks with the fancy computers and machinery at Martin Archery know what they are doing. I am sure whether a person goes solid or split limbs will be more than satisfied with their purchase.

Variety is the spice of life!. I want both!.

Post Thanks / Like

Default solid for me

I have both types of bows my view on solid is that they have more resistance to torque less chance for it to have limb twist or cam lean , with a split limb bow other than a (dual cam) if a limb is not manufactured the same its more likely to have cam lean , with dual cam bows adjust yoke to allow for limb twist , on other split limb bows can only do that on one end to correct twist.Maybe Martin design a dual cam split limb bow and stick with solid limbs on hybrid and single cam bows.
    2012 Bengal pro 70#
    Black carbon

Make your training a hell , so the real fight won't be.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it's time for me to put in my opinion, and again, based on personal experience over the years. Although not the same brand I owned and shot split limbs from Golden Eagle (1997-1999)and Pearson (2000-2003).

I had two Golden Eagle Litespeeds. One with solid limbs and one with split limbs. Using a chrono I found their performance to be identical with the split limb being 1 fps faster on average. I did think the split limb performed with slightly less vibration and noise, but pretty imperceptable.

Pearson was a different story. Split was all they offered. These bows were an absolute dream to shoot. Fairly fast for their time, smooth, and very quiet. No complaints at all with the five bows I had over those three years. At the time I leaned heavily on wanting solid limbs, but over time I learned to appreciate each bow for what it was.

Now, drawing on this experience I would lean toward the split limb design. One reason is that I believe that given the amount of cam lean (limb twist) in today's shorter bows I think split limbs would be more reliable simply because as the limb do twist each side can do so independently of the other lessening the chance of limbs splitting in the middle. We all are aware of the issues of a couple years ago with the limb failures. Maybe this would alleviate it almost altogether.

Spanner brought up the thought of twisting a yoke to get rid of cam lean. The only problem with this is that with a single or binary cam system there is no yoke to twist. Even with a true dual cam system it's not the complete cure. At what point do you want to adjust for? At rest there is a certain amount of force applied to the string and cables. As the bow is drawn the force on the string transfers to the cables, so now the cables are holding most of the forces. On a bow with a cable guard this means that side torque increases. And it's not constant throughout the draw cyle. It's constantly changing till the bow is fully drawn so no matter whether cam lean is alleviated at rest or at full draw it has to be present somewhere in the draw cycle. It's never gone.

However, being as all Martin, and most other companies, are only offering solo or binary cams these days adjusting a yoke is a moot point.

Without having complete inside info I have a feeling that Martin's decision to go to a split limb design is not only for reliability, but also to make the bows more quiet as this has been an issue voiced by a lot of owners and prospective buyers. I have to commend them for listening to thepublic and having the where with all to try something different. I hope it works out and am sure that if it does then you will see more improvements over time.
    Last edited by bfisher; 10-18-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    droppixel.........

let me know
    won't be until well after the season. will have to see what is out and available and evaluate what I'd like to do then, but I'll keep you in mind.