View Poll Results: If you were to purchase a new Martin in 2013, would you pick a solid or split limb?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do me a solid Martin!

8 23.53%
  • Split it up cause more is better!

7 20.59%
  • Either way its a Martin and I'd love it!

19 55.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The split decision...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Guess it's time for me to put in my opinion, and again, based on personal experience over the years. Although not the same brand I owned and shot split limbs from Golden Eagle (1997-1999)and Pearson (2000-2003).

I had two Golden Eagle Litespeeds. One with solid limbs and one with split limbs. Using a chrono I found their performance to be identical with the split limb being 1 fps faster on average. I did think the split limb performed with slightly less vibration and noise, but pretty imperceptable.

Pearson was a different story. Split was all they offered. These bows were an absolute dream to shoot. Fairly fast for their time, smooth, and very quiet. No complaints at all with the five bows I had over those three years. At the time I leaned heavily on wanting solid limbs, but over time I learned to appreciate each bow for what it was.

Now, drawing on this experience I would lean toward the split limb design. One reason is that I believe that given the amount of cam lean (limb twist) in today's shorter bows I think split limbs would be more reliable simply because as the limb do twist each side can do so independently of the other lessening the chance of limbs splitting in the middle. We all are aware of the issues of a couple years ago with the limb failures. Maybe this would alleviate it almost altogeth
    Spanner brought up the thought of twisting a yoke to getd of cam lean. The onlyproblemwith this is that with a single or binary cam system there is no yoke to twist. Even with a true dual cam system it's not the complete cure. At what point do you want to adjust for? At rest there is a certain amount of force applied to the string and cables. As the bow is drawn the force on the string transfers to the cables, so now the cables are holding most of the forces. On a bow with a cable guard this means that side torque increases. And it's not constant throughout the draw cyle. It's constantly changing till the bow is fully drawn so no matter whether cam lean is alleviated at rest or at full draw it has to be present somewhere in the draw cycle. It's never gone.

However, being as all Martin, and most other companies, are only offering solo or binary cams these days adjusting a yoke is a moot point.

Without having complete inside info I have a feeling that Martin's decision to to a split limb design is not only for reliability, but also to make the bows moret as this has been an issue voiced by a lot of owners and prospective buyers. I have to commend them for listening to thepublic and having the where with all to try something different. I hope it works out and am sure that if it does then you will see more improvements over time.

Very true! It's a decision most buyers are faced with when buying a bow today.
    2012 Bengal pro 70#
    Black carbon

Make your training a hell , so the real fight won't be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    What makes ya'all think that you wont be able to back the limb bolts off enough to change strings on an X4.?
    I just have a feeling
    ......Well, i've already written it in an older post, but will repeat it (I'm not bashing Martin and am not saying that the bow isn't good). The lower cost and the unique design of the X4 makes me think and i'm almost 100% sure that this a budget bow made in Taiwan and sold by Martin Archery. Perfect Line makes some bows for American companies using their design and after some years releases them as their own. The quality is quite good and the price is even better so whoever buys such a bow won't regret it.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

If I have a bow with split limb I want yokes to help cam lean, never was a big fan of split limb
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, quite a lot of varied responses here! I have personally not owned a split limb bow before, but I am a member of the KISS (keep it simple stupid) methodology, and in my mind quad limbs means more room for error or malfunction.

HOWEVER I do acknowledge that there are tons of bows on the market using quad limbs with little to no issues, so why not make an offering as well? I don't think my Onza is loud, but its definitely not the quietest I've seen. Perhaps a quad limb version would be quieter? IDK.

I would agree with others that I would have to see the same bow in both configurations to really tell which I prefer, or to see the benefits of one over the other. As Fisher points out, with the cams Martin produces, there is no "yoke" for adjustments on the dual cams, so I can't really see a benefit of one type of limb over the other unless it actually helps in noise reduction.

As for the thought on the Taiwan made bows, one of the things I like about Martin is that it is an American company, based and produced in the USA, I can't see them bringing in a foreign company to produce for them, and would be disappointed if they did....
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

here is my take, Martin is going in a direction that they think is the best for them. I say go with it!! I am sure they tested and tested and there is a reason for going to quad limbs. I have and always will shoot a martin and i have never questioned there ability to make great bows. Yes they have had a few hiccups but what bow maker hasnt? if they never had flaws then they arent trying is what i say. I cant wait to see the new bows!! yes i am one that is wishing for a 65% let off. But, if it shoots and i like it i dont care about all that. God bless all Martin and those that build and service them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrnymanwv View Post
    here is my take, Martin is going in a direction that they think is the best for them. I say go with it!! I am sure they tested and tested and there is a reason for going to quad limbs. I have and always will shoot a martin and i have never questioned there ability to make great bows. Yes they have had a few hiccups but what bow maker hasnt? if they never had flaws then they arent trying is what i say. I cant wait to see the new bows!! yes i am one that is wishing for a 65% let off. But, if it shoots and i like it i dont care about all that. God bless all Martin and those that build and service them!!!
    +1 - would like to give Mr. Lightfoot a good handshake some time Did good with this Bengal!
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I just have a feeling
    ......Well, i've already written it in an older post, but will repeat it (I'm not bashing Martin and am not saying that the bow isn't good). The lower cost and the unique design of the X4 makes me think and i'm almost 100% sure that this a budget bow made in Taiwan and sold by Martin Archery. Perfect Line makes some bows for American companies using their design and after some years releases them as their own. The quality is quite good and the price is even better so whoever buys such a bow won't regret it.
    Hello alex, I did notice the Threshold riser looks just like a Perfect Line riser. I can't help but wonder if that isn't the case, only fitted with an M-Pro cam and Core Flex limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Hello alex, I did notice the Threshold riser looks just like a Perfect Line riser. I can't help but wonder if that isn't the case, only fitted with an M-Pro cam and Core Flex limbs.
    Would'nt be all that supprizing, the Asain manufacturing comminity is well know for their production of 'knockoffs'.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I just have a feeling
    If these bows are made in Taiwan martin will sink, that would be a very bad move. and I would like to know because if they are I will sell all my martins and go back to Hoyt our mathews our any thing made in america.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Martin took the Alien X, added the Saddleback grip, cleaned up the Hybrix cams, and went to
    the split limb design which not only shaved a bit more weight off the bow but should eliminate
    any limb issues and give it an even smoother/more consistent draw.
    I think it's going to be really hard for anyone to top this in a hunting bow.
    Didn't quite get it - which factor would give the smoother/more consistent draw? I don't see the split limbs having any effect on this. Has the cam shape been modified for 2013?

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003