Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth bow Q and A

Post Thanks / Like

Default Youth bow Q and A

Ok, we dont' have any children but I have nephews so I spoil them if it is hunting related. The other day the 15 year old says he wants a recurve. He should of seen Rambo instead ofthat other new movie. I told him to get a compound that will grow with him as he could not pull a hunting recurve back and hold it. He is kinda in agreement (he likes to be hard headed). So it looks like I will be getting him something. I dont want to break $200 as he will probably lose interest. Do y'all have any ideas on what to get him. Must be cheap and fully adjustable 25-45#.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

15 years old is a good age to start shooting a light weight recurve, about 25 lbs @ 28". If that is what the boy wants to shoot, your best bet Uncle would to take a look at the recurve listings on ebay. All he'll need would be arrows to match, a tab or glove and an armguard. There are a lot of quality recurves avaible from ebay, for little money, less than you'd send on a compound. If you don't know anything about recurves, check your local archery club.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Recurve-/208...&_sop=10&_sc=1
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

nice find hutch

You are going to need the adjustabilty... darn kids grow faster then you can set the bow up... buy some easton alum... set up 6 hold back the next for that growing spurt... And if he wants a recurve get him one now is the time to learn and have it last his lifetime
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the ElkSlayers - if he wants a recurve get him one. Martin Jaguar is a good choice or something from Samick (in your price range). If you're certain about the compound follow Hutch, because you won't find a new bow for under 200$ i believe... Hmm, when i think about it the new youth bow from Barnett should be under 200 in the States, but it's made in China of course.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it, but if it's a compound hard to beat a Mission Craze. They are 299 new so a used one could be in your price range. The Craze goes from 15 to 70 lbs and 18 to 30 inch draw length.

Post Thanks / Like

just saw an ad from bowhunters superstore for a 2013 Diamond infinite edge bow that adjusts from 5 - 70 pounds and 13 - 30 inches for $339 which includes rest, sight, quiver. http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/...e+edge&x=0&y=0
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Also be aware that just because the bow goes from 2# to 90# with a draw length from 2" to 40" does not mean that when set at say - 20" dl it still will
    have that full range of draw weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so does anyones kid shoot the Martin Theshold? Seems like it might work for him.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a kid that shoots one, but I have one with the 60 to 70 pound limbs. It is a solid bow with a cast riser and M-Pro cam. It has the F series modules. I think they have one that has 45 to 55 pound limbs, I'm not sure on the draw lengths. I have for my back up bow to my Nemesis, as a matter of fact I am hunting with it now. I put Monster Jax on the limbs, Limbsaver S-coil stabilizer, and cat whiskers on mine. The thing is every bit as quiet as my Nemesis. The back wall is not as solid and there is a more shot vibration then the Nemisis, but the bow is less than 200 bucks with usable sight, quiver, and rest. I have not taken a deer with it yet, but I have shot a couple ground hogs with it so it is accurate. The string that comes with is not great, so I would use a tubed peep on it. Don't get me wrong the string will do the job, I just think the peep could be a problem without a tube on it. All in all I think the bow is an excellent value at the price of entry.
    Last edited by Chip; 10-13-2012 at 11:33 AM.