Thread: Nock variation??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nock variation??

I broke a nock on one of my arrows last summer. I went to the store to get some replacement nocks. They did not have the exact same kind as what all the rest of my arrows had but I bought a pack anyways. No matter what I do and what yardage or what bow is doing the shooting, The arrow with the replacement nock always hits low. I swear the arrow just doesn't fly the same. Can anyone tell me why?

DSCF5269.jpg
    Martin Silencer,Nitrous cams, NAP Apache rest, Tru Glo sight
    Martin Speed Demon, Z Cams, NAP drop away rest, Extreme sight
    Gold Tip shafts, Twister vanes, NAP Shockwaves

Post Thanks / Like

The red one is obviously more narrow. Take a piece of sandpaper and fix it. The nock must not be too tight on the string.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    The red one is obviously more narrow. Take a piece of sandpaper and fix it. The nock must not be too tight on the string.
    The red one is the same as what the arrows came with. The yellow one is the replacement nock. So your saying sand the yellow one down to fit looser on the string between the d loop?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Your arrow nocks should be snug fit not tight. If your yellow one feels tighter then the rest. Take an Emory board and file it. My arrows are not tight on the serving. It takes very little effort to pull them off.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=cmwr;96496]I broke a nock on one of my arrows last summer. I went to the store to get some replacement nocks. They did not have the exact same kind as what all the rest of my arrows had but I bought a pack anyways. No matter what I do and what yardage or what bow is doing the shooting, The arrow with the replacement nock always hits low. I swear the arrow just doesn't fly the same. Can anyone tell me why?

The true factor is that yes if you use differnt nocks you can get differnt results. The end of the nocks can make a difference in contact with a D loop/string nock and one arrow nock can cause pinching and change arrow flight over other arrow nocks. If you're using a D loop go to Bohning and look at the Blazer Double nock about $10 bucks with shipping. They should be able to help you with size for your arrow shaft and should be right there on the web sight. I change out nocks right before the hunt and or a 3D shoot. May also look at spacer inside of your D loop; this will help in reducing nock contact and pinching. Since I went to the Bohning blazers I have no need for a space as nock contact is reduced in the design of the nock. Also Carbon Arrow University is a good site for arrow flight.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
    The red one is the same as what the arrows came with. The yellow one is the replacement nock. So your saying sand the yellow one down to fit looser on the string between the d loop?
    It's hard to tell what the problem is without seeing the bow in person but the best thing you can do is to check all your arrows this way: put them on the string with the tips pointing to the ground. They should not fall until you tap them lightly with your finger. If you don't want to mess with the majority of your arrows try to fix somehow the yellow nock. If it is tighter - sand it, if it's more loose ....hmm i don't know what to do, may be put some layers of epoxy and then sand it to the needed dimensions
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow one is tighter. I will try to sand it. I just didn't realize a pinch tighter would make that big a difference.