Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 or 70 lb Prowler?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 60 or 70 lb Prowler?

Hi guys, I've been reading on here for a while now. Finally decided to register so I could start posting. Anyways, I'm looking at getting a Prowler for my first bow. I have shot bows before, but it was 10 years ago. My question is how high will a 60 lb Prowler max out at with the limbs tightened down all the way? I'm thinking that you could get a little more like 62-64lbs out of it by adding twists to the cables? Maybe I should just get the 70lb version and start with it turned down? I have no problem pulling 60lbs btw and I'm sure I could even pull 70lbs, but I figured it would be better to start at 60 and concentrate on form and consistancy first instead of going for gold right off the bat. Am I on the right track with this? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Humm! I would say wait a few more weeks and see what Martin has in there 2013 line up. Not sure what type of archery you will be doing but the prowler is an ATA 30 inch. Great bow for tree stands and or hunting blinds, my experience is a shorter ATA is not that forgiving. If you looking at 3D and spot type hunting, you may want to see what Martin has in the 2013 line up that ATA is around 32-33. Also remember that allot of the archery suppliers will have to move the 2012's out for the 2013 bows, you may find a great deal on a 2012. I would look at a 70# and turn down a turn or two and that should give you around 65# and you can alway's go up in lbs when you get your set up spot on. Hope thing work out.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you on waiting for the 2013 bows. So far, I still really like the Prowler or I would consider the Bengal as well. I would be hunting with it including backpack hunting and the necessary practice to be proficient for hunting. I'm not competing or shooting 3d courses. I am really just debating on 60lb or 70lb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by desertcj View Post
    I am really just debating on 60lb or 70lb.
    welcome to the forum.a guy does not really need anything over 60lbs to kill any thing in the good ol USA.with that being said you could go with the fury xt cam.it can be adjusted from 35-70lbs.or get the 55-70lb and crank it up or down depending on how it shoots for you.

in the long run going out and shooting some 60's and 70's will get you the idea of what you are looking for.
    i was shooting my bengal maxed out at 73lb for some time but i decided to drop it to 63lb for them sitting shots or weird stance shots when hunting.my next bow will no doubt max out at 60

Post Thanks / Like

The Prowler or the Bengal come with the Fury XT cam. Also, I have a short draw length of 27 1/2" or 28". So, 60lb draw with a 28" DL has me a thinking I might be a little under powered for large wild pigs or elk if I get the chance. Here in California, I'm hunting wild pigs and deer.

Post Thanks / Like

The Prowler or the Bengal come with the Fury XT cam. Also, I have a short draw length of 27 1/2" or 28". So, 60lb draw with a 28" DL has me a thinking I might be a little under powered for large wild pigs or elk if I get the chance. Here in California, I'm hunting wild pigs and deer.
    Sorry, forgot the Big Welcome to the form. Anyway just to shed some light on elk and north America big Game, I would really suggest that you do look at something that will be versatile and will get you up to that 35-70lbs when needed like elk. This is just my take, I've downed over 15 elk over the last 20 years with a bow and you need arrow weight and speed to get the job done. You may need arrow weight up to 430g that will penetrate and have the speed and impact to blow though and Elk at 50-70 yards. Gravedigger is right on, you really only need 60lbs to get the job done here in the US. It's a lot easer if I can penetrate that elk or pig and they don't got hat far after the shot far, or you get that blood trail you need to track in the evening hours or dark. I've never shot the Prowler but really prefer the specs on the Bengal and or Cougar w/ the Nitro Cams. This is just my take. I'm sure some of the others will chime in as most of the folks on here have a lot of experience and set up that work for them, and most shoot 60 and some 70lbs when hunting.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the 70lbs limbs and tune them down to wtvr you find comfortable. Some would argue that 60-70lbs limbs tuned down to 60 won't shoot as true or as fast as a 60lbs maxed out but I think the drop in efficiency can be mitigated with proper tuning and even if I'm wrong, the difference would be negligeable IMO.

That way when you are more comfortable you can tune it back up to 70 without buying new limbs. If money isn't an issue then just buy both set of limbs and switch them out at your leisure. If money REALLY isn't an issue buy 2 bows

Cheers!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

That's what makes my choice a little more difficult. I figure that in a year or two, with a little more experience, I will probably be wanting a new bow! I am leaning towards a 60lb bow maxed out right now...

Post Thanks / Like

That's what makes my choice a little more difficult. I figure that in a year or two, with a little more experience, I will probably be wanting a new bow! I am leaning towards a 60lb bow maxed out right now...
    Well it all depends on your personal consumerism philosophy but personally, when I start a new hobby I tend to go for a more affordable platform. This way while I find out if I'm really into this activity or not, I'm not putting too much strain on my wallet for nothing.

I started archery with a 1980's martin cougar and shot that for about 7 years before purchasing the Scepter V this last spring. I figured I had put enough time and effort into this sport to deserve a bow that I felt was good for me, the scepter V was a great choice as far as I am concerned.

Did the same thing with my base playing, played a Ebenez edc 700 for almost a decade, recently bought my dream base, a musicman sterling, sweetest thing I've ever heard.

I wouldn't get too hung up on having the latest or shiniest though. Especially if you are just starting out. It would suck to put out all that dough to find out the bow doesn't quite fit you in a few months.

If I were you I'd get a used bow, get a feel for the sport, your like and dislikes. You would be surprised the difference in feel from one bow to the next and keep in mind, most peripherals you purchase can be transfered if and when you make the jump to a new bow a few years down the road. If you do end up getting a used bow, a 60 lbs is probably the right choice to begin with. A lower draw weight is more forgiving and more conduscive to practice good form.

That or make sure to do A LOTof shopping to make sure you get the right platform

ok enough with this, starting to feel like a speech....sorry about that

cheers!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

I killed my first wild pig (250lbs ) in California with a 48# recurve, not doubt a 60# compound will have more energy than my Super Kodiak did. And your shoulder will be happier with the lighter draw weight. I shoot a 6 year old 63# Martin Slayer, flings the 400 gr arrow at 299fps, which gives me 79 ft lb KE More than enough to hunt dangerous game!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade