Post Thanks / Like

Default Shot placement!

Shot placement!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any other shot placement for other Game animal????
    say pig, turkey, bear, anything you can hunt in the States?
    Bowless..... shopping for one now, Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, GoldTIP + Blazer Vane + Accunocks, Home Made Front Stab 28", and Side Stab 11", Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Although shot placement is always critical in bowhunting I would like to point out to newer bowhunters that the frontal shot isn't always the best. The vital area is rather narrow. A few inches one way or the other can result in hitting bone and thus a wounding shot. A little low and the brisket can result in poor penetration. A little high in the center can result in the arrow passing between the lungs. In this case there are major arteries and the liver possibly being hit, but leaves for very spotty bloodtrail and a long tracking job. The broadside and/or quartering away shot are the better of the three shown.

Bill, good pics and it never hurts to remind people or educate those who don't know.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkey shot placement

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Barry.

always heard the old man say, broadside, and quarter side is always the 1st choice, and frontal is the last resort or the last choices.....
    Bowless..... shopping for one now, Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, GoldTIP + Blazer Vane + Accunocks, Home Made Front Stab 28", and Side Stab 11", Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have never heard of it or not seen it try the Shot Simulator.
    This bit of software can take a shot at a whitetailed deer at any angle from any elevation, (just about), and show you what vitals or bone your arrow will be hitting or passing through.
    You can download it to your computer or smartphone. One of the neat things is you can play with it in the tree to pass time on your smartphone after your shot to keep you from taking up a trail too soon.
    You can find it at Deer&Deer hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post

Hutch
    Bump for Thunder Chickens - 1 week!
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Bill, the thunder chicken peice was awesome!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    thanks Bill, the thunder chicken peice was awesome!
    One of the best I have seen!

Hutch

Sonny Thomas

Default Shot placement!

Shot placement is everything and I practice it. Shot placement as shown of the deer target is on flat ground and I won't hesitate to take a frontal shot. I'm that sure of my accuracy. I've lost count, but for sure have taken 5 frontal shots, one was on a doe this past year. Of the 4 others the arrow penetrated clear through the liver. None of the deer went more than 100 yards.

There is also arrow placement high and low. One must understand the core center of the animal is the aim point. Best way to understand this is to draw a circle and put a dot in the center. Say you're up a tree 20 feet (more than I ever go) the arrow must go in slightly high to get the top of the lung going in and bottom of the off lung going out. Same difference is a deer were to be on a hill above you. Arrow would go in low to get the bottom of the lung going in and top of the lung going out.

Quartering away shots or quartering away and elevated shots are no different other than you focus on the core center of the deer. You aim further back to get the back of the lung going in and the front of the lung going out.

Understanding the core center of the intended animal you can fashion any shot placement to get the job done.

There's shot placement in 3D also, but of knowing the point ring is where it's at as it doesn't change with elevation differences or angles. There also shot placement to your opponents disadvantage, more like in local club 3Ds against inexperienced shooters or shooters don't learn. One, humans are human. They are drawn to a object for one reason or another. Drawn to a arrow low, but in solid, one can be drawn to the arrow in the target and shoot too low. I've done this a few times in my younger days. Example; In a group of 5 or 6 we came to a standing Polar bear. Up first I pretty much aimed and drilled the bottom of the 12 ring. All others in the group shot low 10s or low out 8s.
    You practice the above arrow placement, not luck out. Try up close using a common bull's eye target. Trying hitting at what would be clock time, 12, 3, 6, 9. Once you get hitting real close or dead on for "time" you've built some confidence and should feel good about it.
    Me and spot shooting. I don't care for spots. Staying in the center is real wandering situation for me. BUT! 3D targets don't have circles to stay in, not that can be seen out much past 25 yards anyway. This past weekend I shot with LD. Our last target was a bedded buck. I knew beyond doubt that is was 32 yards and very near the low 12 was "black" 1" shot out hole. I dialed in 32 yards and added couple clicks for hot. My arrow dead centered the "black hole."