Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The choices are mind numbing...

Post Thanks / Like

Default The choices are mind numbing...

I have been throwing arrows with the same bow since 2001 and I have finally made up my mind that it is time for a new bow. I just can't decide what is right for me. Martin has so many options that sorting everything out is a handful. Martin has treated me with nothing but pleasure and success since the late 80's (started with a Nugent Pro Safari) and I see no real reason to go any other direction. I am now looking to replace my Cougar 2000 with something more modern. The new bow has to be something well rounded as I hunt, shoot indoor and outdoor league and 3D. I've been trying to find a shop within a reasonable distance that stocks Martin products but thus far I am coming up short as the closest options only stock one or two Martins and order everything else. Heck I've searched most of Michigan dealers listed as Martin Pro-Shops and no one stocks much if anything. Unfortunate as I'd like to fondle before I purchase, obviously. Worst case I guess I buy online and hope for the best.

Right now I've been contemplating a Cougar FC (Or 2011 Firecat 400) or an Alien Ultralight (or 2011 Alien X). I may receive some criticism but the bridged risers just haven't grown on me, at least visually, so I am looking to stay with a straight riser setup. I am 5' 7" with a DL between 27 and 28 inches. The Cougar 2000 is set at 62 lbs, 28 inches and 65%.

Enlightenment please?
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Rootsy.

I fairly recently got a parallel limb bow myself, the 2011 Firecat 400. I am very impressed with how it shoots. Here's the the link to my full review:CLICK HERE
    I can't speak for the Alien, but I've heard that it shoots well, and others on here have shot and/or own them.

The bottom line is you'll probably be very impressed with either one, because you aren't shooting a parallel limb bow right now. The limb angle really makes a difference.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh your on Roosty, welcome aboard.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. I had the opportunity to shoot a Firecat 400 tonight and it was simply awesome. I also shot a warthog that was there to see how a longer ATA felt. Speed compared to my old cougar 2000 - no comparison. Received a fair quote (I think anyway) on a cougar fc 60 lb nitro from them.

Managed to locate a dealer with a few Alien Z and X models in stock so I am headed to Detroit tomorrow to put a few arrows through them. They are priced for clearance and the price of a setup X may simply be too good to pass up.

Those Nitro 2 cams sure have a heck of a hill compared to my old z cams with my bow and the Firecat both at 60 lbs.

I have not been excited about shooting a bow for a couple of years but shooting modern technology has me exited to actually put arrows down range.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post

Those Nitro 2 cams sure have a heck of a hill compared to my old z cams with my bow and the Firecat both at 60 lbs.

I have not been excited about shooting a bow for a couple of years but shooting modern technology has me exited to actually put arrows down range.
    x2 for both statements. I did notice the hill before letoff on my Firecat, but I like how fast the arrow leaves the string.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. I had the opportunity to shoot a Firecat 400 tonight and it was simply awesome. I also shot a warthog that was there to see how a longer ATA felt. Speed compared to my old cougar 2000 - no comparison. Received a fair quote (I think anyway) on a cougar fc 60 lb nitro from them.

Managed to locate a dealer with a few Alien Z and X models in stock so I am headed to Detroit tomorrow to put a few arrows through them. They are priced for clearance and the price of a setup X may simply be too good to pass up.

Take a deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath! you'll be okay as soon as you shoot every bow you see!

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure my shoulders could handle that! I did look over all of the big 4 offerings and nothing excited me really. Those Matthews could double as a french fry cutter though.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Those Matthews could double as a french fry cutter though.
    I like Matthews, but that's funny! LOL

A.S

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure my shoulders could handle that! I did look over all of the big 4 offerings and nothing excited me really. Those Matthews could double as a french fry cutter though.
    Yep that was funny! Wheres the fries?

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

I just upgraded my 2002 Cougar to a 2012 Alien X. I went to the shop interested in the Cougar FC also, and he had just sold the last one. He said it would be a couple weeks before he would have another. He had a bunch of X's, so I shot one and could not imagine shooting another bow that would feel any better than this thing.
    2012 Alien X