Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow tuning issues yet again

Post Thanks / Like

Default arrow tuning issues yet again

at least it feels like again. I think I may have found the issue but thought I would ask you guys. So I cannot get rid of a tail left tear ( rh shooter) I have checked the timing and it seems good. I watch the cams enter into the mod at the same time.. Can timing off cause a left tear?? It can't be a weak arrow because I am shooting a goldtip 100+ arrows. Shooting 73 lbs so I am stiff on the arrows. Looks like in flight the arrow is fish tailing towards the target which says rest but when the paper shows a good tear how could this be?? Sould I ditch the paper and just watch the arrow flight?/ Thanks
    Martins,ryteras seem to be givign me fits when it comes to tuning them. Everone one of the 3 I have had in the last year...No issues with my hoyts,bowtechs..pulling my hair out.. But I hope I have the issue fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to state that my Field pts and broadheads hit the same out to 40 yards. It just the arrows fishtail say once between me and the target at 20 yards... What can this be caused from???? any thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Tip + 100 arrows. - Not sure what that means. If your shooting at 73# yer gonna need some really stiff arrows tho...
    I'm not a 'paper tune' advocat - but - usually if everything else seems to be inline and you still get left tears thru paper - you should
    shorten your draw length a bit.
    Most Martins come out long on the DL so if your setting it by the #'s on the mods - it may be longer than you really need which will put
    your elbow off-line at full draw and cause the left paper tear.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issues with a Cougar FC Fury Cam and was puzzling on the fixes. I tried moving the D loop up down, the drop up-down and several times redoing the center shot. I finally changed out the Ripcord to a Limb Driver and Walla a paper tune. Since that experience with the Cougar, I only backward tune now. If I don't have a noticeable fish tail after aliening the center shot, I will shoot 3 arrows at 10-15-20-25-30. I'm looking @ alignment only and not deflection. I tried to get arrow alignment with small drop adjustments. This method of tuning has works for me, my broad heads (Slick Trick Mag 100) end up flying the same on the tune. I did use the Rip Cord on and Onza Pro and no issues with a fish tail. I also shoot a 340 spined arrow.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know Gold Tip made a 100 spine. Just what arrow is it? Just a guess, but I would think you should be using a 300; even 340 being on the light side. Now that being said my Ryteras with Cat/Hybrix cams gave me a left tear till I finally said the heck with it and just tuned for best flight/grouping. If you field points and broadheads are both hitting the same spot out to 40 yards I would suggest closing your eyes at the shot. You'll keep more hair on your head that way.

And NOW, that being said, after three years I finally got a bare shaft to fly decent. At 47# and 26 3/4" draw I tried a 600 spine with a 125gr tip up front. Kinda told me that my assumption that I should be shooting about a 730 spine with an 80gr tip pans out fairly close.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

They are the goldtip big game arrows. I think the spine is .280 I have .300 s as well and still the ugly tear. Im done paper tuning I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnordwell View Post
    They are the goldtip big game arrows. I think the spine is .280 I have .300 s as well and still the ugly tear. Im done paper tuning I guess.
    You try indexing your nocks? Make sure there is proper vane clearance and your string isn't hitting any clothing or anything like that on the shot. What draw length and arrow length are you running? A .300 should be plenty stiff for what you are shooting. I shoot .300s with my 60# Bengal.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

29 in arrows and a 30 in draw. I have freaky long arms.. Im 6-1 but my wingspan is 6-4.....I think its the rest its a nap 360. but I don't have the funds to buy a good fall away so will have to make do until after late season.

Post Thanks / Like

If your shooting plastic vanes - try feathers. I had a NAP 360 on a 60# Firecat shooting .350 arrows with 4" feathers and the bow shot great.
    I got rid of the FC and put the rest on another bow because it was the rest I had, and switched to using Blazers.
    It gave me fits trying to tune it - even tho it didnt show any of the tell-tale signs of rest contact.
    Finally I tried shooting some of my old feather fletched arrows thru it and - - - it shot great.
    Fletching up a few arrows with feathers is alot cheaper than buying a new rest and - it will tell you if it is the rest causing the drama.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not tune a whisker biscuit on a 2010 Firecat Pro, for some reason. Put on a Trophy Taker Smackdown FC and quick and simple, not sure why.

I had a similar problem with a couple of Hoyt's. They required a lot of TLC in the cable adjustment department, but the split cable is a little different. I think I tuned out a left tear by adding 3 twists to the left side of the cable on a CRX. But again, different set up.
    " I learned a few years ago that my wife doesn't know a thing about bows - but she can count..."