Thread: 2014 Shooter Bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014 Shooter Bow

I think I'm going to get a recurve for next year. Something to play with and ease up on these old shoulders. What would you guys say to a 30# Gail Martin Signature bow?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I was just looking at the trad bows in the new catalog a few days ago and if I were to buy one the Gail signature is the one I would pick. Beautiful looking bow for sure!
    I have an old Hunter that still shoots great and I don't shoot it very much so I'm not in the market for a trad bow.
    The Super Diablo is nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful bow and good poundage. I have the Gail martin Recurve or El Dorado longbow on my short list. 30 pounds for the Gail Martin or 40 pounds for the El Dorado.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I think I'm going to get a recurve for next year. Something to play with and ease up on these old shoulders. What would you guys say to a 30# Gail Martin Signature bow?
    I'd say excellent choice, its the bow I'd choose if I had the wherewithall. Top of a very fine line of recurves. Just remember to take it easy on your fingers and work up to shooting. Love the draw curve on that bow.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 11-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt it's a good looking bow. The workmanship has to be out of this world. I don't think that I'll have much problem with the fingers. With that long of a bow and a 27" draw string angle won't be an issue. I found out many moons ago that a tab works better than a glove for a consistent release and having not shot fingers since 1974 or so I still have one or two KantPinch tabs around in one of my drawers. I just have a need to once in a while step away from all the technical jargon of compounds and KISS, if you know what I mean. What better way to do it. And another thing is that if I can't shoot it that well I can at least look good holding something so classy. It's almost a shame to take it out of the box.

I plan to use it for our upcoming indoor leagues and maybe our local winter 3D league. The 3D is outdoors and a limit of 25 yards for traditional. With no sight and/or peep sight I will be able to wear my glasses and at least see a target 25 yards away. I'm really looking forward to it.

Barry

PS. Glad I have everybody's approval.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt it's a good looking bow. The workmanship has to be out of this world. I don't think that I'll have much problem with the fingers. With that long of a bow and a 27" draw string angle won't be an issue. I found out many moons ago that a tab works better than a glove for a consistent release and having not shot fingers since 1974 or so I still have one or two KantPinch tabs around in one of my drawers. I just have a need to once in a while step away from all the technical jargon of compounds and KISS, if you know what I mean. What better way to do it. And another thing is that if I can't shoot it that well I can at least look good holding something so classy. It's almost a shame to take it out of the box.

I plan to use it for our upcoming indoor leagues and maybe our local winter 3D league. The 3D is outdoors and a limit of 25 yards for traditional. With no sight and/or peep sight I will be able to wear my glasses and at least see a target 25 yards away. I'm really looking forward to it.

Barry

PS. Glad I have everybody's approval.
    More like Envy! Your fingers are going to tell you about it, they'll get sore pretty quickly, even at 30#s, It probally been a while since you've held the string on your finger tips, and they'll be a bit tender.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 11-17-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I also like these two bows the most, Barry. But i think you'd better get a little heavier bow - 35# would be okay for your shoulders but will make a difference in the speed. My sister shoots a 30# recurve and a 35# horsebow and you can tell the difference.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    More like Envy! Your fingers are going to tell you about it, they'll get sore pretty quickly, even at 30#s, It probally been a while since you've held the string on your finger tips, and they'll be a bit tender.
    I amwell aware that it's been a while since I shot fingers. I remember the relief it was when I changed to release. I just finished shooting about 40 shots indoors this morning with a 25# recurve, using a tab and was surprised that I have no discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I also like these two bows the most, Barry. But i think you'd better get a little heavier bow - 35# would be okay for your shoulders but will make a difference in the speed. My sister shoots a 30# recurve and a 35# horsebow and you can tell the difference.
    Don't think I'll need more speed. Longest shots I'm likely to be doing is 25 yards. Also I have enough experience that if I want more speed I can choose some super light arrows, which I have. I have some that weigh 209 gr and are still on the stiff side. And for shooting indoors I'm going to be trying some Aluminum arrows with 200 gr points. If that isn't going to be slow I don't know what is. Speed just isn't going to be a priority---just plain old fun is the agenda.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I'll need more speed. Longest shots I'm likely to be doing is 25 yards. Also I have enough experience that if I want more speed I can choose some super light arrows, which I have. I have some that weigh 209 gr and are still on the stiff side. And for shooting indoors I'm going to be trying some Aluminum arrows with 200 gr points. If that isn't going to be slow I don't know what is. Speed just isn't going to be a priority---just plain old fun is the agenda.
    It's your choice of course but i have the feeling that you won't limit yourself with these 25 yards, Barry. The plain old fun will require some long range shots with a trad bow - at least I am like that I'm curious to see the difference in speed between your super light arrows and the heavy Al ones. But I guess I'll have to wait till 2014
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

As for your concerns with a finger release, I've known a few people and suspect the rest who have trouble are shooting too much toward their tips perhaps thinking they get a cleaner release. What is called a 'deep hook' is better. That is, hooking the string in the first joint. As you relax your hand during the draw, the string pushes forward slightly causing the arrow to 'push' toward the rest slightly. This eliminates the arrow falling off the rest when you hook shallow and tend to grip tighter which curls the arrow away from the rest.

Something else that may help is the number of strands in your string. Having a few extra strands may take a few fps off your speed, but will add many more arrows to shooting comfort. When you make the string for your 30# bow, build it for a 40# or 50# bow. I shoot fingers a lot and have a callus on the bottom side of my ring finger only - this is from the string dragging since it only has about 10% of the weight on it. With a deep hook I can shoot a few arrows with no tab and suffer no ill-effects.

mike