Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peep rotating

Post Thanks / Like

Default peep rotating

my 2010 pantera developed a problem,when holding my bow in front of me my peep is facing me like it should. but when i draw the bow the peep rotates to the left so i am looking at the side of the peep instead of looking through it.this happened this morning when i had a nice 8 pointer walk past at 30 yrd's.shot a doe yesterday the bow was fine.shot a spike wed. no problem.any help would be appreciated .this is a first for me.i've been shooting a peep for 35 yr's.and never had this happen.by the way it's a meta peep.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the string for loose servings or broken strands. Either of these things will allow the string to twist when being pulled.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Check the string for loose servings or broken strands. Either of these things will allow the string to twist when being pulled.

Hutch
    How old are the strings? Like Hutch says, give them a good look over and consider replacing if still stock from a 2010. That or I'd call it bad karma for shooting a spike
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the bow's tired, and wants the day off? All kidding aside, sounds like something has given or broke, like Hutch said, check for loose serving and/or a broken strand.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

i had the string/cable replaced last may(2012).checked for broken strands which was my first thought but they look fine as do the servings.a matthews tec replaced the string/cables.he had said they weren't exactly the same but he said he could make them work,a twist here a twist there and there you go. i sure wish we had a good martin dealer around here. i have to say that pantera is the slickest bow i ever owned.to bad all the local dealers look down their nose at martin.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point the only thing I can thing of is the builder didn't serve the serving in the same direction as the twists in the string. This will cause the rotation you are talking about. Also do you have idler serving? That is usually the main reason for peep rotation. The serving on the idler usually will allow the string material to roll after awhile. Talk to the person you bought it from. They might be your answer.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that the serving above or below the peep has moved a little? Might let the peep rotate out of it's original position. It does sound more like a broken strand or something though.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Let do the process of elimination. Lets start with d loop and center serving. Has it been replaced since the installation of the string? Was it served with the twists in the string? If it has not been replaced and is served correctly, check for loose serving or separation in the serving. If this is all correct then it is more likely the idler serving. I would say the serving is loose and maybe undetectable. Then I would check that by putting a full twist in the string to bring the peep to the opposite side and see when you draw it back that is comes into the right position. If so the string has loose or incorrect serving.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

the ''tec'' that ordered and installed the string/cable has not been avalible he's been out shooting videos .last time i spoke to him he told me to throw my pantera into the trash and buy a mattews from him that ain't gonna happen.all of the servings are wrapped proper.the thing i cant figure out is two hr's earlier when i climbed into my stand i drew my bow and everything was fine,next time i drew it the peep rolled to the left and i was looking at the side of the peep.maybe it's tine for that bengal pro!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longdrawdan View Post
    the ''tec'' that ordered and installed the string/cable has not been avalible he's been out shooting videos .last time i spoke to him he told me to throw my pantera into the trash and buy a mattews from him that ain't gonna happen.all of the servings are wrapped proper.the thing i cant figure out is two hr's earlier when i climbed into my stand i drew my bow and everything was fine,next time i drew it the peep rolled to the left and i was looking at the side of the peep.maybe it's tine for that bengal pro!
    Nothing wrong with the bow!!!!!!!!! its the string I guarantee that! Some thing is missing, some detail. Posts picks that might help.

Hutch