Thread: Hello I am Lab Rat and I am addicted to Martin Archery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello I am Lab Rat and I am addicted to Martin Archery

Hello I am Lab Rat and I am addicted to Martin Archery. On my son's 12th birthday this September he wanted to try bow hunting. I have never hunted anything with a bow, but have hunted the Black Hills of South Dakota and both East and West River deer. Everything including antelope, white tail, and Mule deer with rifles. Also I haven't hunted deer in over 20 years. My Dad did some archery hunting and he gave me his old Bear Whitetail Hunter and his old Onza 1. I currently live in Michigan. My Dad's old bows have been sitting in the basement untouched for at least 10 years. I bought my 12 year old a Diamond Razor Edge and setup the Onza for my 16 year old. I dislocated my arm building my current home about 5 years ago and figured that I would need to get a crossbow to hunt. So I purchased a Ten Point Wicked Ridge and shot the Bear just to see how my arm would feel. I literally sighted in the crossbow and set it aside -- boring. I kept shooting the Bear. It hurt a lot, but my arm and shoulders got strong pretty fast until my elbow did not bother me at all. I was shooting without a peep sight, with little let off, without a backwall and man I was having a great time. I bought my first bow from BFISHER, I thought that it was appropriate to buy the Onza 3 to continue with my Dad's travels. I love that bow, however once my 16 year old shot it, I knew I needed another bow. I traded my Wicked Ridge crossbow for a 2011 Rytera Alien Z that was listed on Craigslist for $300 about a month ago, and have been learning all I can from you guys on this site and have been tweaking that bow to make it shoot as good as the Onza 3. I bought a conversion kit to swap out the factory roller guard to the factory slide for $35. Bought a clearance Tilt Tamer from Lancaster's for $50. Dropped a $100 QAD Ultra Rest LD, installed a $100 HHA OL-5519, and lastly installed a 4 inch extension for the sight from Ebay for $35. This is the most fun I have been having with my boys in some time and Martin Archery is to blame for a lot of it. I looked at purchasing Mathews, PSE, and Hoyt but the initial investment is just way too high for someone getting started -- not knowing if they will continue with archery. Now that I am completely hooked my wife holds Martin Archery personally responsible. Here are some pictures of the first two arrows that I used to sight in the 4 inch extension.
    This is my first Robin Hood, and hopefully will have pics of my son's first whitetails this fall. Thank you Martin Archery and the Tech Forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I know the "hooked" feeling LR, right there with you. I can't wait for my son to be old enough to get him started on Archery, he's barely 8 months old at the moment so it's not for tomorrow.

As much as I would be proud to robin hood an arrow, I think it would fall into the bittersweet category. I like my arrows
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooked is the truth. My 3 Kids all own Martins and now its time for the wife!! Shooting to me is relaxing.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I texted a picture to my Dad and he responded "kinda raisin hell with your arrows aren't ya". The only response I could think of was "Uhhh hay"