Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '12 Cougar FC vs '11 Alien Z Heads Up Shoot-out

Post Thanks / Like

Default '12 Cougar FC vs '11 Alien Z Heads Up Shoot-out

With both in my hands I figured I would see how they performed in an equal competition.

Cougar FC setup
    60# Power Tough limbs 1HP 9121
    Nitro 1.5 cams
    28" draw length
    max pull 61 lbs
    Limbdriver Pro V rest
    Copper John Gravedigger Bulls Eye sight
    D-loop (no nock sets) 5 grains
    CE kisser button - 5 grains with serving thread knots
    X-Factor string dampers 2@ 13 grains each

Alien Z setup
    60# Barnsdale limbs #155
    Hybrix 2.0 cams
    28" draw
    max pull 58 lbs
    Limbdriver Pro V rest
    Copper John Gravedigger Bulls Eye sight
    D-loop with nock sets - 7 grains
    CE kisser button -5 grains with serving knots
    Cir-Cut whiskers - 34 grains total

Ammunition - 27" CE Maxima Hunter 250 arrows with Blazer vanes - 347.1 grains actual measured weight.

Release - Tru Fire Edge

Chronograph - Beta Chrony @ 1 foot from bow - 10 consecutive shots from each bow

-RESULTS-

Cougar FC

Lo 267.1
    Hi 276.5
    Avg 271.5
    Spread 9.43
    Sd 2.64

Calculatd IBO using average - 322 fps

Alien Z

Lo 281.6
    Hi 296.1
    Avg 286.5
    Spread 14.49
    Sd 4.12

Calculated IBO using average - 340 fps

Even with limb saver limb dampening buttons the Z has slightly more felt vibration.

I feel the Cougar could benefit from some further tuning. The string serving is also very long, over 10 inches in length. The Nitro 1.5 cams have the general profile of the Hybrix 2 cams but are scaled down. The Cougar has an easier draw cycle with the smaller cams also. Not a huge amount but noticeable.

Further thoughts and opinions?
    Last edited by Rootsy; 12-05-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

I feel you should send the Z my way for further "TESTING"
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

After I swapped out the CCS and installed the tilt tamer on my Alien Z the speed suffered a little. Using the stock cables and string with a 420 grain hunting arrow I got 265 fps. I also could only get around 56 lb of draw weight. I twisted the cables and brought the ATA back closer to 36" but the draw weight was about 59 lb. It then shot the 420 grain arrow at 277 fps. I then twisted the cables and now have about 60.5 lb of draw and you can tell that the bow is a little faster, but haven't chronographed yet.

I read quite a few articles about wrapping up the cams on the Martin Cat cams and tried to do the same on the Alien Z. I am not familiar with the 1.5 cams. I spoke with a dealer in town that doesn't really stock any Martin bows and he admits that the Alien Z is a beast. I totally agree. I had a guy in Gander Mountain who films hunting shows and who shoots a PSE Evo Dream Season drooling over my Alien Z.

A bow with a 36 inch ATA and almost 7 inches of brace shooting a real IBO of 340 fps is just sick. I think that Martin really made a mistake not bringing it out for 2013. I guess that makes the Alien Z a collector's item.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    After I swapped out the CCS and installed the tilt tamer on my Alien Z the speed suffered a little. Using the stock cables and string with a 420 grain hunting arrow I got 265 fps. I also could only get around 56 lb of draw weight. I twisted the cables and brought the ATA back closer to 36" but the draw weight was about 59 lb. It then shot the 420 grain arrow at 277 fps. I then twisted the cables and now have about 60.5 lb of draw and you can tell that the bow is a little faster, but haven't chronographed yet.

I read quite a few articles about wrapping up the cams on the Martin Cat cams and tried to do the same on the Alien Z. I am not familiar with the 1.5 cams. I spoke with a dealer in town that doesn't really stock any Martin bows and he admits that the Alien Z is a beast. I totally agree. I had a guy in Gander Mountain who films hunting shows and who shoots a PSE Evo Dream Season drooling over my Alien Z.

A bow with a 36 inch ATA and almost 7 inches of brace shooting a real IBO of 340 fps is just sick. I think that Martin really made a mistake not bringing it out for 2013. I guess that makes the Alien Z a collector's item.
    I think if I can work something out to make the grip more comfortable I will be GTG on her. Maybe the thermal grip Martin offers will do the trick.

Where are you in SW MI?
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished changing the clothes on my AZ so it can play Indoors this winter.
    IMG_1199.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1.5 vs 2.0 cam

Do you think that you would have gotten faster speed out of the Cougar if you would have had the 2.0 cams?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdriver55 View Post
    Do you think that you would have gotten faster speed out of the Cougar if you would have had the 2.0 cams?
    Not knowing specific differences between the 1.5 and 2.0 I cannot answer that.

I will be giving the FC a good inspection (in regard to some of what Lab Rat was speaking of) and see how it is setup from the factory. I have not touched it except for DL, weight and to add the kisser, rest, sight and d-loop.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
    Not knowing specific differences between the 1.5 and 2.0 I cannot answer that.

I will be giving the FC a good inspection (in regard to some of what Lab Rat was speaking of) and see how it is setup from the factory. I have not touched it except for DL, weight and to add the kisser, rest, sight and d-loop.
    I dont think so. I believe the 1.5 would be putting out more energy and operating at a higher efficency with it set on the longer draw length for the cam, rather than a larger cam set to a smaller draw length. Kinda like when Martin had the Nitrous cams, they always said the "B" cams were the fastest when compared equal with the "C" cams

Post Thanks / Like

So we need to modify some numbers, for the better. When I buy a bow I have the seller (store) pull it on a scale @ max weight and then turn it out one turn and pull, then a second and pull. This gives me a correlation as to how much pull weight drops since I never had a scale and so I know a starting point. Well I bought a scale and got it hung last night.

The Alien Z pulled at 60.5 when I bought it and the FC at 60.6 (inspection card from Martin listed it as 61.6) - 2 different scales. After a check for accuracy (a few known weights) of my scale I pulled both bows cranked down. Since I am using a spring scale I only have 1 lb graduations so a resolution of +/- .5 lbs if my eyes can focus. The FC pulled at just a touch under 61 lbs. The Alien on the other hand only pulled at 58 lbs.

5 twists on each cable and now it breaks at 60 lbs even. ATA is now within 1/16th and BH is about 1/8 over spec. Guess we will see what she will do tonight. Gap between the post and cable is about a 1/16th +/- and just a touch less on the bottom than on the top.

15 turns out on the limb bolts (as far as I want to go - safely - IMEO) and the Z doesn't relax enough to get strings and cable to just slip off. Have to hand rotate the cam, under pressure and then use a soft object to slip through the cam and let it bear against the limb to hold the cam indexed such that the cable will slip on and off... This is with the CCS unbolted and free to hang.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Rootsy,

When I first installed the cable slide and tilt tamer I didn't have a press either. I went out and bought a Bowmaster portable press and it works great. The only downside is that I have a greater tendency to "tinker".