Thread: Re-using a bow after several years

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re-using a bow after several years

I have a Martin Lynx Magnum Speed Flite compound bow which I have not used for over 7 years. I now want to start using it again. I have heard that when a bow is drawn after a long period of non-use the arms may break. Is this true ? If it is true what should I do to be able to use it safely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yungaburra View Post
    I have a Martin Lynx Magnum Speed Flite compound bow which I have not used for over 7 years. I now want to start using it again. I have heard that when a bow is drawn after a long period of non-use the arms may break. Is this true ? If it is true what should I do to be able to use it safely?
    I wouldn't worry about the bow breaking from non-use. I've had a few in the past that weren't shot much. I even had a PSE target bow that hadn't been shot in 20 years and when I did pick it up it shot as good as they day I got it. If you have any doubts you could take it to a shop and let them look it over and maybe even test shoot it. Probably, worst case, is that the string/cables might be need changed more for your peace of mind than anything else. Besides, string materials are better than they once were and so are methods of building strings.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yeppers get it looked at , like Barry said then GET SOME NEW THREADS