Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadowcat Cam Roll Over

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shadowcat Cam Roll Over

Hey guys

I am shooting a 2012 Shadowcat for indoor spots. I have the nitro 1.5 cams. I thought I saw on here before how to tame the bump on the cam just before it rolls over on my draw cycle. Juat looking for a smoother end to the draw.
    Anyone help out? Thanks.
    Martin Silver Star Shooter
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

" Right handed / Left eye dominate and shoot left handed "

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this with several of my Rytera bows. It entails manipulating the cam orientation by twisting the string and untwisting the cables. For instance, on my Alien Z I added about 10-15 twists to the string and took out 5 twists on each cable. Now this does make the draw length a bit shorter, but this can be corrected by moving the module to the next longer hole and readjussting the draw stop accordingly. It also changes the bow specs a bit, but I never worry about specs. I set the bow for how I like it and then measure the specs for future reference and let them be what they end up being.

You can try it and see if it suits.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I do it the opposite way by twisting the cables to advance one cam over the other (and wrap up both cams). I leave the string alone. The draw length and max draw weight will both increase. I then back the limbs off for draw weight and use the draw stop to set draw length and let off.

I am currently at 10 and 15 twists respectively (over factory set conditions) on the cables of the Z and I have just about completely lost the "hump" in the draw cycle. My top cam has about double the gap between post and cable as compared to bottom cam. Max draw weight has increased 5 lbs and the draw length about half an inch. Moving the draw stop to set DL @ 27 gives me a 70ish % letoff on my scale.

This is easy enough to play with just keep notes about what changes you made for each iteration of the test so you can put it back the way it was if you desire.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously by doing either you will take the bow out of specs. How does this effect the bows shooting, holding etc...
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckhunt View Post
    Obviously by doing either you will take the bow out of specs. How does this effect the bows shooting, holding etc...
    In my case, this has brought the Z into spec in some areas. Out of the box it was too long ATA and failed to meet max draw weight rating. BH has always been 1/4" long. As far as performance and shootability... Both have improved. But that is for my bow... Each one will be different.
    2012 Martin Cougar FC
    2011 Rytera Alien Z
    2001 Martin Cougar 2000
    Martin Nugent Pro Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckhunt View Post
    As I stated above. Whether you go my way or Rootsy's you set thee bow up for the way you want it to feel or perform and let the specs fall where they may. And measure and record each change you make so you can go back to square one if you choose. Specs are just approximations anyway. By using either method mentioned you are customizing the bow to you.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

When you say hump in the draw cycle do you mean how the draw drops into the valley? I think that they mentioned it already but I don't think of the draw length modules as the way to adjust the draw length. I use the drawstop to adjust the draw length to give me the best form position for back tension. So I can pull into the back wall using my back muscles and rotate through the shot. I use the draw length module to set the amount of let off. The higher number on the module the lower amount of let off, if you set the module all the way up then you will not drop into the valley. I like mine setup to pull back smoothly and just ease into the valley. My son likes the Onza setup where it drops off a cliff and the let off feels like you have to push the string forward to release. When I pull that bow back it feels like there is a hump at the end because of all of the letoff -- it feels like I overcame the entire draw cycle in one moment. I can't stand that, but to each his own. It's funny watching bow reviews online when they talk about draw cycles, creep, and back walls. You could set these bows up and hand it off to someone and they would tear it apart for the feel of the draw cycle and you could set it up to make someone absolutely love it in a quick change of the stop and draw modules.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am looking to get rid of most of the top of the valley feel. Seems to choppy. I do want some let off, just not the hump. If I draw to hard, after hitting the top, the draw cycle falls off hard, slamming the draw stop into the limb. If I draw to soft, I hit the top and the bow pulls me back towards the riser. Hope this makes sense. I will give both a try but it seems like the draw stop and draw module will cause less over all changes...???
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

Post Thanks / Like

I think that its a good starting point to adjust the draw stop to your preferred draw length, then adjust the let off or feel of the valley with the draw modules. Higher number for higher let off and deeper valley. Then if that doesn't give you the feel you want -- start twisting. Just remember that once you start twisting the draw length and the draw weight will change so you may have to readjust the stop, modules, and possibly the draw weight at the limb bolts. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

like lab rat was saying shorten draw lenght with your module then lenghten your draw stop should help before twisting it up, the nitro cam are one of the most shooter friendly cams out there, go shoot a bowtec then come back and shoot your bow you will not even feel the hump
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER