Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the AMO on a martin jaguar take-down bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What's the AMO on a martin jaguar take-down bow?

Martin's website lists two AMOs for the jaguar take-down: 60" and 62" although the 60" AMO is on a current listing.

I bought a 60" AMO string (16st) to put on it but the brace height was 8.5" which is 1.5" over the recommended brace height. I'm going to buy a 62" AMO string to see if it fits but all the current listings for the bow say it has a 60" AMO and I bought it a month ago at Bass Pro Shops. Did they sell me an old bow? They didn't give me a bowstringer with the bow either.

Any idea why this is?

Actual length from tip to tip is 58.5"
    Actual length of factory string is 57" (after a month of use)
    Actual length of replacement string I got is 55.5" (60" AMO)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDucky View Post
    Martin's website lists two AMOs for the jaguar take-down: 60" and 62" although the 60" AMO is on a current listing.

I bought a 60" AMO string (16st) to put on it but the brace height was 8.5" which is 1.5" over the recommended brace height. I'm going to buy a 62" AMO string to see if it fits but all the current listings for the bow say it has a 60" AMO and I bought it a month ago at Bass Pro Shops. Did they sell me an old bow? They didn't give me a bowstringer with the bow either.

Any idea why this is?
    Actual length from tip to tip is 58.5"
    Actual length of factory string is 57" (after a month of use)

Actual length of replacement string I got is 55.5" (60" AMO)
    When you measureed the bow did you follow the curves keeping the tape in contact with the bow or did you measure tip to tip in a straight line? From the number highlighted above ( in blue ) it would seem that your bow is actually a 62" bow and your string should be 56". Are'nt there any specs marked on the bow?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    When you measureed the bow did you follow the curves keeping the tape in contact with the bow or did you measure tip to tip in a straight line? From the number highlighted above ( in blue ) it would seem that your bow is actually a 62" bow and your string should be 56". Are'nt there any specs marked on the bow?
    I measured tip to tip in a straight line.

The bottom limb says @ 28" #50 but nothing about AMO length on either limb.

I wonder where Bass Pro Shops got this bow...

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that things have changed much, but a standard length for string on traditional gear has always been 3" less than the length of the bow. In other words, of your bow is 60" the string should be 57" if you're going with a standard setup.

My best guess from what you've posted is that the replacement string you bought was either put in the wrong packaging or the packaging is mismarked. If you're measuring 55.5 it's plainly too short.

Some people like to play around with different brace heights so may change the string and go 1/2" longer or shorter, depending on what they're trying to do, but 57" is the suggested length you need. However, note that the packaging should be marked 60" AMO. When you return that one or just buy another one I would suggest you have it measured before you leave the store.

If I may be sold bold, may I ask why you are replacing the factory string?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I doubt that things have changed much, but a standard length for string on traditional gear has always been 3" less than the length of the bow. In other words, of your bow is 60" the string should be 57" if you're going with a standard setup.

My best guess from what you've posted is that the replacement string you bought was either put in the wrong packaging or the packaging is mismarked. If you're measuring 55.5 it's plainly too short.

Some people like to play around with different brace heights so may change the string and go 1/2" longer or shorter, depending on what they're trying to do, but 57" is the suggested length you need. However, note that the packaging should be marked 60" AMO. When you return that one or just buy another one I would suggest you have it measured before you leave the store.

If I may be sold bold, may I ask why you are replacing the factory string?
    I bought the string on amazon. I'm going to buy a 62" amo from the same seller and see if it fits but I need a string next week so I'm going to hunt for one in person.

The factory string's serving started coming undone pretty quickly and the string frayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the guy who makes my recurves strings, makes the string any way you want them, whatever length, in 32 colors for under $12 to your door.And he's quick as well, each order has taken less than 4 days till I was stringing the bow with the new string. Give him a try.

http://www.dmerrill.com/page.php?funct=as&pName=strings
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Here's the guy who makes my recurves strings, makes the string any way you want them, whatever length, in 32 colors for under $12 to your door.And he's quick as well, each order has taken less than 4 days till I was stringing the bow with the new string. Give him a try.

http://www.dmerrill.com/page.php?funct=as&pName=strings
    Thanks that looks like a great source for strings!

Post Thanks / Like

I went to an archery shop today and got a string

The string I bought on amazon was made by "October Mountain" and it was 60 amo and made by bow have an 8.5" brace height.

I tried a 60 amo string today made by "Stone Mountain" and it made my bow have an 8" brace height. They had a factory Martin string there but couldn't sell it to me since it went with the martin bow they had. This string made my bow have a 6.5" brace height. I then tried a 62 amo Stone Mountain string and it made my bow have a 6.5" brace height.

In short, the non-factory string needed to be 62 amo while the factory string was 60 amo.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The string I bought on amazon was made by "October Mountain" and it was 60 amo and made by bow have an 8.5" brace height.

I tried a 60 amo string today made by "Stone Mountain" and it made my bow have an 8" brace height. They had a factory Martin string there but couldn't sell it to me since it went with the martin bow they had. This string made my bow have a 6.5" brace height. I then tried a 62 amo Stone Mountain string and it made my bow have a 6.5" brace height.

In short, the non-factory string needed to be 62 amo while the factory string was 60 amo.
    Do you know what string material they are using? Reason I asked is Bcy B-50 stretches a lot. B-55 stretches about the same. Dynaflite 97 stretches less. The point I am making is each one made at the same length is going to be a different length on the bow. Changing the brace height. So depending on the string material it's going to change the out come.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

You do know you can twist or untwist to change the BH of your bow to find the best Bh for your bow. Just make sure you you don't untwist too much that you unravel the end. You should have measured that factory string at the shop off the bow. Go to recurves.com and talk to chad if you want quality strings. If your still not sure.....Just call Martin Customer support and they will let you know what length strings to buy.