Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the AMO on a martin jaguar take-down bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Do you know what string material they are using? Reason I asked is Bcy B-50 stretches a lot. B-55 stretches about the same. Dynaflite 97 stretches less. The point I am making is each one made at the same length is going to be a different length on the bow. Changing the brace height. So depending on the string material it's going to change the out come.

Hutch
    The October Mountain string was supposed to be B50 and the Stone Mountain string package is marked D97.

I'm not sure what the factory string was.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A Traditional string usually has 10 to 12 twists in it. It can have up to 20 and no less then 10. To get the desired brace height you need to untwist your string.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    You do know you can twist or untwist to change the BH of your bow to find the best Bh for your bow. Just make sure you you don't untwist too much that you unravel the end. You should have measured that factory string at the shop off the bow. Go to recurves.com and talk to chad if you want quality strings. If your still not sure.....Just call Martin Customer support and they will let you know what length strings to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    A Traditional string usually has 10 to 12 twists in it. It can have up to 20 and no less then 10. To get the desired brace height you need to untwist your string.
    Hutch

It's hard to untwist an untwisted string! The 8" BH strings were untwisted when I put them on.

I did put the factory string on my bow and it made my bow have a 6.5" brace height.

I think the point of this thread is that different manufacturers make strings different lengths even though they say their string matches the AMO standard.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most string builders know that traditional strings are built 3.5" shorter then what the bow is marked. If I built you 3 strings the same, one out of B55 one out of B50 and the last out of dyna 97 your bh for all of them would vary. Now if you have a string the maker made out of 452x then I hope you have reinforced tips. The material on most recurves is stretchy to take up the rebound of the limbs. If you have a untwisted string they didn't know what they were doing! The strands of string material needs to bundled together to work properly. Take a look at this link http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm it explains bow strings and trad strings. Now if you want a bow string that gives a 6.5 brace height you need to have someone one build you one with the right material and length.

One thing I forgot you need to do is order a string a 1/4" longer so you can untwist and twist if needed.

Hutch
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 12-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com