Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: String and cable lengths for a Phantom

Post Thanks / Like

Try the following link and see if any of the SE bows listed have a similar length riser compared to your Phantom, that will cut down on the amount of trial and error work you'll go through.

http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2...t/dynacam.html

If you can find one thats close, you'll be able to put everything together and put the bow in a press and press it to the correct A to A length and get your string/cable lengths measured.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default phantom

My stock Phantom has 97 and 40 string/cable. The closest I see is the Slayer SE at 98 and 40 3/4 string/cable. Im thinking the cable length would be close to the ATA?
    07 Rytera Bullet X
    04 Martin Cougar III
    02 Martin Cougar Target
    02 Martin MV2

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.martinarchery.com/pdf/2006Specs.pdf

The 06 cougar magnum in the above spec chart is 5/8" A-A shorter than your stock Phantom and was offered with the SE configuration, that appears to be the closest match to get you started. Use the Cougar SE A-A and string/cable specs and adjust those to get close on the Phantom. The Cougar SE was 5.5"A-A shorter than the Cougar Mag, so if your Phantom is 37.5" A-A, it should be appox. 32" A-A in the SE configuration.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default phantom

Ok that makes sense, should I then press it to the 32" to measure for my string/cable?
    07 Rytera Bullet X
    04 Martin Cougar III
    02 Martin Cougar Target
    02 Martin MV2

Post Thanks / Like

32" would be an appox. starting point, if it looks like you've got too much preload on the limbs, back it off an inch and see what it looks like. Once you get the limb preload to where it looks close then measure for the strings. I keep a spool of inexpensive string material on hand to make up the initial trial set, and don't even bother with the end servings untill I'm happy with the specs on the bow, DW, DL, A2A, brace height, etc.., then I'll make up my 1st good set, usually just a single color with all the servings in place so I can shoot the bow and make whatever minor adjustments to the lengths to get everything fine tuned before making my final good set.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default phantom

I have another SE bow. Its a cougar with dyna cams. Could icompare preload with that to getme close or am i thinking wrong. To measure for the sting and cable what do you usually do?
    07 Rytera Bullet X
    04 Martin Cougar III
    02 Martin Cougar Target
    02 Martin MV2

Post Thanks / Like

Having the Cougar SE on hand is ideal, you should easily be able to compare preload and get the Phantom very close to spec with the 1st try. To get the string/cable measurements, I use a length of serving with a loop on one end to slip over the cam peg and will hold the cam in place using a binder clip or something similar, then route the serving thread around the cam/idler just as you would when putting a string on then mark the serving thread, remove it and take your measurement, repeat for the cable.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default phantom

Ok thanks for the help will let you know how it go's
    07 Rytera Bullet X
    04 Martin Cougar III
    02 Martin Cougar Target
    02 Martin MV2

Post Thanks / Like

Default phantom

Got my string/cable finished today and the bow put together shoots really well. Specs are a little crazy, ATA is 28.5!! Brace H is an amazing and forgiving 9". This bow looks a little odd, but actually is a sweet little bow. Thanks for all of the help guys!! Will post some finished pics soon.
    07 Rytera Bullet X
    04 Martin Cougar III
    02 Martin Cougar Target
    02 Martin MV2

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool! gotta see it! Pics a must!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com