Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Review of my new 2011 Ridge Hunter...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Review of my new 2011 Ridge Hunter...

I know this isn't a current bow in the Martin lineup. I know that i can be harsh on Martin at times on here or AT, but........

I quickly have to say that this is the best Martin bow i have ever shot period ! I shot a few 2013 models and they were spectacular. This ridge hunter is up there with them. It might have something to do with the riser design possibly. This bow fits me well.

Fit and finish is very good, it might be wearing off a touch on the grip.....I'll watch it and see.... I would give it a 9.5

The grip is great! A rating of 10. It fits so well....no torque. Very Accurate!

The Strings are pretty good. The peep I have to twist once in awhile, but decent strings for factory originals. I really like the color combo to it. A 9 for strings.

The Cam, which i have had on 2 previous 2009 bengals is great. Super smooth, Very adjustable, Plenty fast. Rating of 10

The draw cycle is great, I would put it in the same category as the cam on the diamond black ice......Rating of 10

Absolutely no kick....dead in the hands, better than my old mathews outback.... Rating of 10

No Vibe really to speak of, a little if you don't have a stabilizer.....rating of 10

Noise at the shot........here is where i always had problems with, with Martin. But this rig is quiet. Quieter than my Black Ice. I'm very happy with the shot noise. The only real thing I or anyone can here is my release clicking. I would give it a rating of 9.0-9.5 ish. = truly a great surprise!

Now speed..........really really happy with the speed here. It's zipping out there i would say 280ish fps...
    My specs.... 28dl, 63-65lbs. 370grains-carbon express 350maximas.
    My 20 yard pin from 30 yards out drops maybe 2 inches. Very happy with the speed and the way my arrows hit my bag. I've had some slow martins, one bengal and one firecat was slow. I just had a firecat that was maxed out at 59lbs...28dl...and it was noticeably slower than this ridge hunter.....although the draw cycle was pretty dang sweet with the nitro cams. All in all the speed has to be right on with IBO....rating 10
    When at full draw this is rock solid steady, coupled with a great grip and with the adjustable cam, draw stop and, rock solid back wall.....it's a shooter

i will post pics later this week or next. But for now i will be taking this out for atleast 2 hunts before the end of the season.
    Last edited by WestMichiganBowhunter; 12-27-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I'm glad it shoots well for you.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you like it. I agree with your review with one exception, the grip. I'd like a little thicker grip, takes me a bit to find the comfortable spot. My Guardian felt like a glove and I'd like the Ridge Hunter to be that way. Also, like you, I have a Firecat and it is slower. The Firecat is maxed at 66 pounds though so it will be but is shouldn't be as noticable as it is. My Ridge is at 71 and is just as easy to draw and hold as the Firecat. I truly wished I had discovered the Acu-Trak cam years ago. I'd love to see that cam on a 34 or 35" ata bow. Curious, did you set it up similar to mine to quiet it down?
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    Glad to hear you like it. I agree with your review with one exception, the grip. I'd like a little thicker grip, takes me a bit to find the comfortable spot. My Guardian felt like a glove and I'd like the Ridge Hunter to be that way. Also, like you, I have a Firecat and it is slower. The Firecat is maxed at 66 pounds though so it will be but is shouldn't be as noticable as it is. My Ridge is at 71 and is just as easy to draw and hold as the Firecat. I truly wished I had discovered the Acu-Trak cam years ago. I'd love to see that cam on a 34 or 35" ata bow. Curious, did you set it up similar to mine to quiet it down?
    No, it's pretty stock.
    it has limbsavers on the limbs...and string leeches and of course the sts. That's it.
    Really don't need to do anything else. I might add a different rubber stopper just to see if it changes anything.....just for fun i guess. I might add a sauders hyper glide for kicks and a rubber dampner thingy on the cable rod and sts rod to see if it makes any dramatic improvement. I really don't need to do those add ons, but it would be an experiment to see if it does anything. This really is the first Martin that i've had that it doesn't need to be loaded down with dampning stuff.....it's kinda nice. I don't really want to add any more weight to it, like the way it feels now. Like I said i might add some stuff on it, might not. I will for sure do the Saunder Hyper Glide.
    As for the Firecat Nutty Native.....I couldn't or can't figure out why it's that way. Doesn't make sense to me.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Good review. Refresh my memory. Is the RH the Bengal?
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    What...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    No, it's pretty stock.
    it has limbsavers on the limbs...and string leeches and of course the sts. That's it.
    Really don't need to do anything else. I might add a different rubber stopper just to see if it changes anything.....just for fun i guess. I might add a sauders hyper glide for kicks and a rubber dampner thingy on the cable rod and sts rod to see if it makes any dramatic improvement. I really don't need to do those add ons, but it would be an experiment to see if it does anything. This really is the first Martin that i've had that it doesn't need to be loaded down with dampning stuff.....it's kinda nice. I don't really want to add any more weight to it, like the way it feels now. Like I said i might add some stuff on it, might not. I will for sure do the Saunder Hyper Glide.
    As for the Firecat Nutty Native.....I couldn't or can't figure out why it's that way. Doesn't make sense to me.
    You should like the Saunders - first thing that went on my Bengal when it arrived. Had one purchased ready to go before the bow arrived at my house!
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    For 2011, I think yes that was it. I know there were a few re-badged ones for some of the box stores, but I think that was mainly for the Exile.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    You should like the Saunders - first thing that went on my Bengal when it arrived. Had one purchased ready to go before the bow arrived at my house!
    i had one on a different bow, but i didn't like how it moved the cables to extreme angles. I was worried that it put undue stress on the top idler wheel / cam. It was super smooth with it.

The cable rod is already showing alot of wear from the cable glide. Here's a question that i've never asked.......Can you wear out a cable rod ?

Anyone have a pic of their saunders on their Martin ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    For 2011, I think yes that was it. I know there were a few re-badged ones for some of the box stores, but I think that was mainly for the Exile.
    You're right, it was. The riser might have been slightly different from 2010, but it was the Bengal.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com