Thread: Axis 1 2 3

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Axis 1 2 3

Here is a problem I just ran into with my new sight. 1st axis was fine. 2nd axis was not (fixed it) now its time for the 3rd axis. This is a totally miss understood problem out there. With all 3 axis set right you will not have an issue shooting up or down hill.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

would like to see some input too.

i got the 2nd axis fixed. but never had the 3 axis fixed.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting ...
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good info and something I've been aware of since my field shooting days back in the mid 70's. Unfortunately if you want a sight that has adjustment for 3rd axis then you're going to have to part with some serious coin. Very few run of the mill sights have this capability and most don't even have 2nd axis adjustment. This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have been aware of this 3rd axis for quite a few years. I actually ran into it when I set-up a scope on a bow. When I finally got the scope mounted so that when I picked up the bow, drew it back, and everything lined up perfectly; I noticed that the scope was physically aiming to my right slightly. (I am left handed) When I set-up a scope for a buddy's bow his was physically aimed left slightly. (he is right handed)

I did alot of research and asked a lot of questions of a lot of so called archery techs. I really wish I remember who it was that initially explained it to me. That person really does deserve my thanks ... many times over. This question comes up every-so-often.

Shimming the sight mount on the bow will work to correct 3rd axis.

I also noticed with the Red Dot scope I use on my bow, I have absolutely no problems with any shot from 10 feet to 30yrds; whether it is right below me or steeply up hill. If my range finder says 22yrds, I put that red dot right where I want to hit; and it does. Making sure that I bend at the waist is the only thing I need to do; and with the scope if I do not bend at the waist, I can't see the dot, unless I change my anchor point.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this link works.

It really explains it good ... and they have a handy level to help. Only real problem is the level costs about $55.00.
    Watch the video though it's good. If you do a search on YouTube on 3rd axis leveling you'll find the whole 7 part sight leveling vids by Hamskea Archery.

These videos are 3 years old. But still apply today.

http://youtu.be/CO_fa0bGwu4

I hunt from a portable tree climber and like to get up 30 to 35 feet usually. Minimum is 25 feet. I hunt some heavy pressured public lands in Wisconsin

Hutch ... you brought up a very good thread here!!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have known about the 3 axis for a long time. I have only needed 2 of them fixed at any given point. I shoot with a single pin slider and at the most 25 yards for hunting. Well my son got me a real nice sight for Christmas. Apex 5pin and I love it. Problem was when I sighted it in and checked everything. My sight level was way off. A shim and adjustment and I was hitting a quarter at @ 20 yards. This reminded me of the 3 axis and how you had to draw to get it correct. Well I checked out some videos and this guy does it well. There is a level that Mike pointed out in the video that will show you where you need to adjust your sight. But like Barry said you will have to hand out some serious coin for a good sight that has this adjustment.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com