Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable bow press

Post Thanks / Like

Question Portable bow press

I'm going to get a protable bow press for maintenence work on my bow, which one would you guys recommend the bowmaster or the ram rachet loc. pros and cons of each welcome.
    2012 Pantera Magnum 70#
    Oneida Strike Eagle 60-80#

Post Thanks / Like

Default bowmaster

i ordered a bowmaster just a few days ago, i believe its quite a good press: works with split limbs and solid limbs alike, no adapters required (i think).
    Last edited by Lukeiio; 01-02-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of the Ram Rachet Loc, but then after I bought my BowMaster, I stopped looking at portable presses. Mine is small and compact enough that its always in my backpack. Actually had a situtation where having my BowMaster in my pack would have saved a hunt, had it been in my pack. Now it always is.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I snagged a BowMaster with the Limb Adapters. I just run it with a socket/ratchet to cinch it down faster than turning it by hand. Has saved me a lot of time when I've needed to make a few small adjustments here and there.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Was looking at the bowmaster as well. Do you use those limb adapters with solid limb bows too? I would think it better to press from limb tips no matter what design (split or solid).

Post Thanks / Like

The split limb adapters can be used on solid limbs as well with no problems.
    I've been using a Bowmaster as an 'in the field' adjustment tool for years, works great.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

Post Thanks / Like

Used the bowmaster to set up my nephews Threshold. Worth the $.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldorj81 View Post
    Was looking at the bowmaster as well. Do you use those limb adapters with solid limb bows too? I would think it better to press from limb tips no matter what design (split or solid).
    Yes, I use the new style of split adapters for mine.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use those limb adapters with solid limb bows too? I would think it better to press from limb tips no matter what design (split or solid).
    i think its definitely better to use the adapter at all time, i was able to press my split limb hoyt with a bowmaster without any adapter though. -> its possible to press a split limb bow without adapter enough to make small adjustments on the string (peepsight instal.), however i guess you can not do any serious work on the cams without adapters...
    correct me if im wrong!!

btw: what do you do with past parallel limbs??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeiio View Post
    i think its definitely better to use the adapter at all time, i was able to press my split limb hoyt with a bowmaster without any adapter though. -> its possible to press a split limb bow without adapter enough to make small adjustments on the string (peepsight instal.), however i guess you can not do any serious work on the cams without adapters...
    correct me if im wrong!!

btw: what do you do with past parallel limbs??
    Good question as I've never used mine on such a bow. Most likely, for safety sake and to prevent bow damage I would seek a more sophisticated press. And what you are saying is correct about using it on parallel, split limbed bows. You may not need the adaptors on some if not most. However, I kind of like using the adaptors all the time just to have more clearance between them and the cables/string.

The one thing I've always liked about the Bowmaster is that it packs into such a small package for field use. As a constant tinkerer I end up doing a most work on my bows and others right off the tailgate of my pickup truck at the archery club. What I've spent on the Bowmaster has more been than offset by the gas savings running to Kinseys all the time. But to be honest, I've never in 40 years, had my bows worked on by a shop.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver