Thread: NOCK placement/ setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default NOCK placement/ setup

i just wanted to raise the question here in the forum how you set and tune your nocking point.

im about to start tuning my new bengal from scratch and thought about the 'bare shaft planing test' and paper tuning, but i have never done this tests before and was able to achieve very satisfying results only by
    1.) leveling the rest mount holes and the arrow (on the actual rest) and
    2.)trying to create a very precise center shot with several water levels.

so how do you do it and what do you recommend??

Post Thanks / Like

I start by squaring mine up with the shaft running directly through the berger holes. After that, I take some shots at a horizontal line on a target to figure if my shots are coming in too high or too low - indication that your nocking point or rest needs to be moved up or down.

This helped me get started with setting mine up so far.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Easton Tuning guide, there is a link at the top of the stack.

Post Thanks / Like

Default nocking point/ center shot

@ droppixel/ lab rat
    thanks for posting the vid, the tuning guide is also very interessting!!

i think it is easy and effective to 1.) set the nocking point by leveling the rest mount holes with the arrow; 2.) check the nocking point by shooting at a target face with a horizontal line on it and a 10 pin set like in the vid (low hit -> nocking point is too high)

after this is done the rest should be leveled with the nocking point and its time to set the center shot.

i set my center shot similar to the instruction in the video by shooting at a vertical line and had good results, still i want to emphasize the golden rule:

at short distance, only adjust your sight - at longer distance, only adjust your rest!!!

thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Lukeiio; 01-04-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm ??? Q. if you shoot at the horizontal line with a new unsighted in setup from scratch, how do you know if the arrow is shooting low due to the 1. nocking posistion being off, or if 2. you just are "aiming"the arrow too low ?

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm ??? Q. if you shoot at the horizontal line with a new unsighted in setup from scratch, how do you know if the arrow is shooting low due to the 1. nocking posistion being off, or if 2. you just are "aiming"the arrow too low ?
    you have to 1.) (water-)level the rest with the nocking point after every adjustment, 2.) sight your bow in by "trial and error" at 10 yards, then go back to 20 -> if theres a difference at 20 (low/ high) using the exact same 10 yard pin, your nocking point is off because you shouldnt lose anything from 10-20 yards with a modern bow and a correct nocking point.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually set everything close by eye, then go straight to paper. Use the paper tune to set my nock height first, so that I only have a horizontal tear left or right. Then I move my rest to get my center close. I say close, because my center is not set at that point, and I'm not worried about perfect bullet holes. Next I move to a target and do a French tune to quick set my sight and rest centers. My center is all set when I can do a 40 yd walkback and keep a vertical line...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Used to bare shaft tune and then it dawned on me I will never shoot a deer with a bare shaft. Paper tune with fletching and then walk back tuning gets me as good as I will ever shoot. 10-50 yards I can make them all fall into a horizontal line with one pin. If I bother to recheck the paper tear I seldom have a perfect tear, the deer can't read the paper tear anyway.