Thread: xbow

Post Thanks / Like

Default xbow

I went hunting with a friend from work and heard a crossbow shot for the first time. I was shocked at how loud it was. I have never been an obsessive speed guy, I always went for more quiet. When I heard this thing I could not help thinking how does a deer not jump that string. The crossbow was a Horton, don't know the model but I would bet it's not much faster then my Nemesis. I have been thinking that as I am getting older that I would have to consider a crossbow as an option for hunting. To be honest after hearing a crossbow shot I'm not sure that a limb change would be a better option.

Post Thanks / Like

The noise problem is from the super short limbs. All the vibration cannot get out like a vertical bow. I hunt with one when it is super cold and I am to bundled up to draw my compound or when my shoulder hurts. I shoot a ten point hlx and it is super fast. You just aim low like normal. Supposedly, the recurve crossbows are more quite then the compound crossbows.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I want one of those Excalibur recurve crossbows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    I want one of those Excalibur recurve crossbows.
    Me too. I will need to ditch the back up compound and the back up crossbow first. I have a hide I want to keep if you now what I mean.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed that when it gets cold that I have been starting to struggle drawing my 60# bows sitting down. I don't have a problem standing so when it's cold out I stand when I am on stand. Being an ex Air Force Security police I am no stranger to standing for hours, but father time will take it's toll on that as well. So things like an xbow or limb change have begun to creep into my mind. I am born again into archery so being this late in the game I have put most of my efforts into bow hunting only. I shoot my handguns in the summer as well as my bow, so there have been a couple ground hogs that have had a bad day when I have had my bow in hand during the summer months. I guess I could always add a Delorian to the list archery ideas to extend my shooting and hunting.