Thread: Anyone else feel like Onza 3 wants to lean to the right

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else feel like Onza 3 wants to lean to the right

Been shooting my onza alot recently getting ready for animal league and for some reason it feels like it has a slight lean to the right even though I feel my grip is fine...i grip it the same way I do my hoyt and that sits perfectly level....was wondering if it has anything to do with the design of the riser and there is more weight on the right side...i have a basic hunting site, with the quickie quiver quiver mount attached to it, but I doubt that is enough weight to make any difference...could it just be a need a different grip on this bow? anyone else have this problem

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I've noticed. I did have to adjust my how the bow sits in my hand with the saddle back as opposed to thicker grips. With me, it sits with all its force in the thick pad under my thumb, right along my life line. Its not a high grip like a Mathews, or a mid like Martin's old grips. Its almost a mid-low grip (I wouldn't really think of it as a low), and I've found in order to sit right it really makes you relax your bow hand like you're supposed to anyways. Compared to other grips I've shot, its probably my favorite!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Onza 3 is my primary bow and I haven't noticed such tendency. I just have a short, lightweight stabilizer attached without offset. My sight is lighweight GP Optix XR (magnesium construction).

You could balance the bow by using an offset bar (?) to move your stabilizer sideways a bit, or use a V-bar bracket to add some weight to the left side of the bow.

I like the grip of Onza 3 very much (especially after I replaced the original leather with a piece of better quality leather). It is confortable and narrow enough not to induce torque.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-08-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Phantonza,

Do you like the Onza better than the nemesis?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    Phantonza,

Do you like the Onza better than the nemesis?
    It's far too early to say, since I've had the Nemesis for only a few weeks now. I like both bows, but my plan is to keep the Onza primarily for hunting and the Nemesis as my main 3D competition bow. I will have lighter arrows for the Nemesis (still waiting for my order) to help with distance estimation errors in competitions since rangefinder is not allowed. I also have a 1-pin quick adjustable sight for the Nemesis but prefer a multi-pin sight for most hunting (thus a multi-pin sight on the Onza). I have a longer stabilizer in Nemesis etc., so there are many differences because of accessory choices between the two. Still, the bows have the same cams, and brace height and both feel comfortable - I don't need to "adjust myself" between the bows.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

it is due to the extra weight on the right side of the bow, even a few ounces on one side of the bow will cause it to tip, the best way to adjust for it, is to have correct grip and draw length (assuming you do) buy an offset bar for your stabilizer and weight until it feels right for you