Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pro staff???

Post Thanks / Like

It's quite funny to read what you are arguing about, as from my location and thus point of view everything is completely vice versa.

We do not have advertisements for hunting, we have no hunting shows and we see rarely camo bows - only if people are demanding it. Why is that so? Because here hunting with the bow is prohibited, it is forbidden and whoever starts to talk about that will be kind of harassed. Don't dare to even think about that! You get some stuff as people are traveling around to get the possibilities, but only a few.

So in fact we have not that many shops, but mostly medium to larger ones. Any shop has to store a number of target rigs with basic setups and all that stuff you need. And not only brand, but at least 3 or 4 brands, so the customer can choose. Backordering stuff isn't very welcome here, so shops have to keep everything ready to sell, beside some stuff which is not on their list.

The majority here does not watch hunting shows but only takes a look at the pro staff shooters competing all over the world, no matter if Recurve or Compound. Most archers will know the 'big names' from Hoyt and PSE, Mathews is rarely seen over here so most people do not care about them. But whenever there is an international shoot there is a lot of interest focused on that event, and people really care about 'what the pro just said'.

Just my part from the other side of the medal..
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

2. Thanks bfisher thanked for this post
    Likes bfisher, otisT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for that post, Montalaar; it should give everyone here food for thought, reflection, humility for what we take for granted... Thanks... o
    Anything I may post is in no way meant to besmirch anyone or any entity in any way, so please don't take it, wrongly, as such. Thank You.

4. Thanks bfisher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps answers are not in the right realm of things. "Throw money at 3D." Is it of the big bucks 3D shooters make? I think I noted money, but not in the sense of money to hunters. How would you go about it?

Rambling;

Deer hunting.....4 types? One, the meat hunter, takes anything that will eat. Two, only a buck will do. Three, trophy hunter. Now, the trophy hunter takes what looks impressive on the wall and/or in the record books. Four, the low life, the one that hunter just for the sake of killing something....

Would we go by number of deer harvest per year? Hey, we have to stay with current models of bows. Joe Blow killed 19 deer this year with his [fill in blank]. 19 deer? Probably wouldn't go over with the general public - bad relations already tipsy. Don Hoe killed the new Iowa state record buck with [fill in blank"]. Might go over. Don's brother, no relation (), killed new world record buck. Should go over.
    Now, x number of state records. How would you pay off? Different with typical versus non-typical? Now, the world record buck should garner top dollar.....But then, record book bucks are sold. This sort of down plays that record book buck. Noted was bucks scoring 200 bring as much as $20,000.00, no questions asked. How many world record bucks are kept by the owner? And then the majority of world record bucks were found dead. I know of one world record buck, still the top deer to beat for archery, was sold for a tidy some. Yep, the man holds the record, but doesn't own the mount. ??? So this buck has been reigning for 47 years. Kinda long dry spell for some one waiting for a pay check from [fill in blank].

Of course deer aren't the only game hunted....Grizzly, black bear, elk and so on....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

If those of you that think having a Shooting pro staff is unimportant take a look at Elite. They brought on several top archers to help boost the target side of things, guess what it worked!!! TOG is flooded with orders and are going through tremendous growing pains. Mathews bought a large number of shooters long ago and they grew by leaps and bounds.

You get the right people shooting a bow and there will be many followers, plain and simple.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

7. Likes otisT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW I shot 3 ASA Pro/Ams this year and all 3 I can count the number of Martins I saw on 1 hand.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems some here like me are talking about shops and other are talking about the manufacturers.
    As far as Martin goes the company is not even a year old at this point and I am sure not ready to through hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay target shooters. I do not think any other manufacturer did either so in time they will build up the pro-staff but it will take time. They are spending money on production and R & D for 2015 which is what they need to do right now. The rest will come in time as it did with everyone else. These things do not happen overnight so down the road I am sure you will see more Martin shooters.

10. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otisT View Post
    I think a big part of what Sonny is saying is;
    Pete Shepley, Hoyt and Mathews are not stupid in how they spend advertising dollars. They didn't get to be the 'Big Three' by being so. A small part of the industry, perhaps, but target shooting makes the 'news'. A guy with a twenty-nine inch tree stand bow sees Hoyt win an Olympic medal with a sixty inch Hoyt recurve will tell his buddies "See, that's why I shoot Hoyt!! They're darn sure shooters!" Everyday consumers, of which I include myself, will equate more with the brand name than the actual bows themselves. Last winter I watched several target competitions on the computer and found myself pulling for PSE to win simply because I like PSE, and Martin wasn't on the line to root for. The type of bow didn't matter, the brand name did. Good publicity sells. Winning recurves get the brand name out there and that helps sell hunting bows - likewise with 3D bows that win, make the 'news'. Don't believe me; ask Pete why PSE puts big money into maintaining target teams. {:>).... best to all... o
    Same thing in NASCAR, we root for the brand.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishingandHuntingUSA View Post
    Seems some here like me are talking about shops and other are talking about the manufacturers.
    As far as Martin goes the company is not even a year old at this point and I am sure not ready to through hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay target shooters. I do not think any other manufacturer did either so in time they will build up the pro-staff but it will take time. They are spending money on production and R & D for 2015 which is what they need to do right now. The rest will come in time as it did with everyone else. These things do not happen overnight so down the road I am sure you will see more Martin shooters.
    I think we all know Martin is still in the "get their feet on the ground" stage and can't afford those high dollar shooters. We all should remember how it was with the "Guns" of the time. Earl, Gail and Ben were doing the shooting and dang good at it. The last I saw pretty good on staff was Gary Studt and John Wheeler.

Shooter wise here in the forums there has been Don and me giving our competition shooting. Don is still going. I shot Martins from the summer of 2010 thru the end of summer of 2012 and gave much of how I did. All 3 of my Shadowcats did outstanding, knock over quite a high overalls at club events and staying in the upper 3 for State ASA events. Working at a small shop that began with Martins, all those I gave a full house shake down was target accurate...even though I don't care for short ata bows.

Our shop supported Martin shooters that competed even after the shop was no longer a Martin dealer. Virtually free; bow work, indoor practice range, and accessories at cost.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Of course deer aren't the only game hunted....Grizzly, black bear, elk and so on....
    No Grizzly hunting in continental US, have to go to Alaska to hunt those bears in the US, Guide required for the non resident hunter. Spendy! Yukon hunts are less costly.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 07-15-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

CLT Bluesman, NASCAR is a great example of companies knowing where to spend their advertising dollars; not only do we root for 'our' car brands, but look at all the seemingly non automotive related companies sponsoring cars. I can see in my minds eye women jumping up and down, yelling, 'Yes!! My TIDE car wins!! My detergent is faster than yours!!'.... 'Congratulations, sweetheart, but ahh ahh, I, ahh... I don't really have a favorite detergent.'
    If there wasn't monetary benefit to be had for Tide and similar companies sponsoring race cars, they wouldn't do it; stockholders would see to it.

elkslayer4X5 hits on another good point; even if able, I, most of us, couldn't afford an Alaskan grizzly bear hunt, but PSE or Hoyt probably could send one of their TV stars, IF THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD PAY. "Wow, they hunt grizzlies with PSE bows! Man, they got to be good if they dare put 'em up against ol' Ephraim!!"

As a silly side note; sorry, I can't help myself, I really like this site -> http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/ <- lol it says, so long as I can keep my kinetic energy above 66 foot pounds, I'm capable of harvesting "dangerous/tough game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, ect.)" That is really quite comforting in the off chance a circus train should ever derail in southern Idaho... o
    Last edited by otisT; 07-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Anything I may post is in no way meant to besmirch anyone or any entity in any way, so please don't take it, wrongly, as such. Thank You.