Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Cat module screw....stripped!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shadow Cat module screw....stripped!

Ok, I have stripped one of the module screws on my 2012 Shadow Cat. I tried a screw extractor and it doesn't bite into metal. How the heck is one supposed to get the screw out?
    Martin Silver Star Shooter
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

" Right handed / Left eye dominate and shoot left handed "

Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky enough to get one out with a hammer and an allen wrench. Taping on the allen wrench while turning. But it sounds like you may be beyond that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckhunt View Post
    Ok, I have stripped one of the module screws on my 2012 Shadow Cat. I tried a screw extractor and it doesn't bite into metal. How the heck is one supposed to get the screw out?
    You might be able to turn it from the backside with pliers. If not, you'll probably have to drill it out. Drilling it out isn't as scary as it sounds, as long as you're centered on the screw and take your time. I drilled out the head of mine and was able to unscrew it from the back.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    You might be able to turn it from the backside with pliers. If not, you'll probably have to drill it out. Drilling it out isn't as scary as it sounds, as long as you're centered on the screw and take your time. I drilled out the head of mine and was able to unscrew it from the back.

A.S
    Of course, your mileage may vary, its very hard to hit the exact center of a messed up screw, try an 'Easyout' a size or 2 small than your screw, that way you won't need to hit the exact center, you'll need just enough hole to get the easyout tool into the drilled hole. Work slowely and carefully. Good luck.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Use a heat gun or a blow dry to heat it up once you have it nice and hot use a 1/16" drill bit from the opposite side of the head as you drill the bit should bite and ran the screw back out
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

When all else fails try a left hand drill bit, before you work harden the screw too much, some quick heat will help. only heat the area around the screw head and not the head itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had to drill out 3 screws from 2 Shadowcats. Soft low grade screws are used from the factory which strip out real easy.
    What I did was use a drill bit just large enough to drill out the head, matched the taper on the module, remove module then you should be able to grab the remainder of the screw with pliers.
    I replaced my screws with high grade stainless steel screws.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Thanks all! I will try heating and drilling out from the back side. Thought the heat might work.
    Martin Silver Star Shooter
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

" Right handed / Left eye dominate and shoot left handed "

Post Thanks / Like

Default stripped screw

I have found stripped screws on modules before. I always thought I could with a "little" more knuckle scraping pressure get them to "let go" and then totally ruined them. While trying to justify it wasn't my fault in my mind (was though) I ended up getting out my Dremel tool and CAREFULLY cut a groove in the top of the screw without hitting the module and then using a good (non China) made screwdriver flat blade and pressing firmly before twisting and getting the screw out. Then my friend MBXXX sent me some stainless replacement screws and never had problems since.

Post Thanks / Like

when you do get them out go right to home depot and replace them with stainless phillips heads.way easier to work with.the size of the allen key is a joke,a couple of pounds of torque strips them out.