Thread: Lets Talk Arrows

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lets Talk Arrows

Started using Cabela's Carbon Extreme's 400 and I find nothing wrong with them, buy bare shaft and fletch Blazer vanes on a Arizona Mini Fletch tool. Gold tip XT Hunters 400, nocks fail too often, replaced with Easton nocks. Easton axis 340, have had no problems. The best fletching glue I found is the Locktite Blue Ultra Gel. Use the Gorilla Impact Blue for inserts, I've not had an insert pullout in K's of shots. Silk Tip field tips are pricey but really easyier to pull out of my Block Target. Broadhead is the Magnus Buzzcut 4 blade 100 grain. 29" draw, cut my arrows at 29". The 400 spine arrows weight 390 grains, the 340's 415-425 depending on the tip. Don't have a chrono so I don't know what kind of speed I am seeing. My 400 spine arrows are starting to run low and I am looking at Cabela's Predatech 250's to replace them with, I believe they are the Carbon Express Crush arrow buy all the spects. I take all my damaged but salvable arrows and cut them down for the club after refletching.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Cabelas Stalker Extremes for hunting the 340's are $55 per dozen and are Easton arrows with super nocks. They have straightness of 0.003", and weight of 2 grains. They are very durable and I fletch blazers with the EZ-fletch mini. I have used a couple different models of Carbon Express arrows like the Mutiny, and some of the other cheaper ones for my 12 yr olds bow. I prefer the Easton super nocks and have had for less issues with the Stalker Extreme arrows. The EZ fletch does a great job and I can do one arrow in about 3 minutes, and the fletching does not come off. I have shot arrows through the fletching with the radical helical. My arrows are 30 inches long weigh around 425 and the last time I shot on the Technohunt they were traveling 280 fps. I wouldn't mind trying another arrow such as VAPs, or the FMJs but it will be some time before these things wear out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been shooting Gold Tip arrows since the late 90's. Gold Tip has added arrow models over the years but I've mainly used the Hunter XT's and the 22 series arrows. I've had just great results with Gold Tips that I just can't see trying another. Alot of the arrows in my quiver, if not all of them, have been through the boiler room of at least one deer. I always use feather fletching. A big chunk of the fletching can be missing and the arrows will still fly nice and true. I've tried different plastic vanes but if the vane gets a nick in it or rips the arrow flight is greatly affected. Shooting league my arrows take a beating with groups of arrows all touching each other and bumping. I like the push in nocks because they get pounded during league.

I like to shoot in a hunter's league during the winter to keep me shooting through the winter. I shoot my complete hunting rig and it kind of gets me when people show up with a bow that I know was set up just for league. Come on ... you don't really shoot an X-Cutter arrow hunting.... especially on a bright red bow with a 42 inch axle to axle measurment and a three foot stabilizer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    I have been shooting Gold Tip arrows since the late 90's. Gold Tip has added arrow models over the years but I've mainly used the Hunter XT's and the 22 series arrows. I've had just great results with Gold Tips that I just can't see trying another. Alot of the arrows in my quiver, if not all of them, have been through the boiler room of at least one deer. I always use feather fletching. A big chunk of the fletching can be missing and the arrows will still fly nice and true. I've tried different plastic vanes but if the vane gets a nick in it or rips the arrow flight is greatly affected. Shooting league my arrows take a beating with groups of arrows all touching each other and bumping. I like the push in nocks because they get pounded during league.

I like to shoot in a hunter's league during the winter to keep me shooting through the winter. I shoot my complete hunting rig and it kind of gets me when people show up with a bow that I know was set up just for league. Come on ... you don't really shoot an X-Cutter arrow hunting.... especially on a bright red bow with a 42 inch axle to axle measurment and a three foot stabilizer!
    No, but you do get to use that rig to shoot in winter leagues.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I use Easton Axis Nanos. I like the small diameter shaft and they seem pretty tough. Cut to 27", with 100 gr tips and 2" feathers from Gateway. They weigh right at 385 grns total. I've had the greatest luck with with Muzzy 3 blades as they fly great leave good blood trails.

Although I have had to replace a couple of shafts after driving the tip into them after hitting something hard... (squirrels and grouse are hard on arrows). I used to shoot the Trophy Ridge Wraths which had the collar on the tip. I ditched those because although they protected the shaft they made it harder than heck to pull out of my bag targets.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    No, but you do get to use that rig to shoot in winter leagues.
    Yeah, but the archery shop calls it a "Hunter's League". Actually I don't care what they shoot for a bow I guess. They still don't out shoot me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Yeah, but the archery shop calls it a "Hunter's League". Actually I don't care what they shoot for a bow I guess. They still don't out shoot me.
    Some guys just have to have all the "edge " they can get away with, others just shoot!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade