Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Choices

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow Choices

Ok guys, just got back to being a Martin guy...again. Haha this time for good. I just got done with my Strother shindig. Anyhoo, just picked myself up an Alien X with the Tranz Cam (accutrak). I was wondering what arrows, fletching, etc. to use to use for it? Il be shooting it at 70# with a 28" draw. I want the finished arrow weight to be about 385 grains.

Any and all opinions are welcomed.

Jake

Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Victory's. V1's or V3's or even V6's according to what dw and dl you would use a 350 spine. Pm archerx7 he will ship them to your door. I got a dozen V6's for my son. http://www.victoryarchery.com/

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

i like the beman hunter 340, they are tough and you get 0.003 straightness (something im have not seen anywhere else in this price range) . with 340 spine they got 9,3 gr/i.

28'' arrow = 260gr (+ 100gr point, fletching, insert, nock = ~385??)

http://beman.com/product/ics-hunter/

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting Black Eagle Arrow Carnivores and the Ultra Light Carnys.
    I really like them. The specs have always been tighter than advertised and the cost is inline with GT's.
    Ive been using Blazers but am going to fletch my next batch with 3" feathers for hunting.
    Think I would use the Razors on the UL Carnys for 3-D.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Victories (V3-V6), Gold Tip's (XT), Carbon Express and finial settled with Easton Axis or Beaman MFT 340. Easton Axis and Beaman MFTs are the same arrow with Beaman $5 bucks cheaper on the dozen and $10 on the dozen. I get better penetration with the Axis or Beaman. The 340's@ 29" I shoot weight-in at 420 with a 100g Slick Trick Mag. I downed my Bull Elk this year (Fire Cat 400) with an Easton Axis and Slick Trick @ 68 yards, hit the shoulder and penetrated the shoulder and caught the hart. Yes! one blade on the slick trick bent but did not break. For me, Im a believer in my set up. Using 2.1 Neon Fusion from Norway (AAE Glue) and Easton Double Nocks.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I know your draw is 28", but how long do you want your arrows? And are you using them for target, hunting, or both? That would help in figuring out arrow genealogy and help us get to your target weight.

I prefer the Easton Axis Nanos myself, and with my particular setup, they weigh about 385; cut to 27", 100 gr tips, and 2" feather fletchings...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Ok guys, just got back to being a Martin guy...again. Haha this time for good. I just got done with my Strother shindig. Anyhoo, just picked myself up an Alien X with the Tranz Cam (accutrak). I was wondering what arrows, fletching, etc. to use to use for it? Il be shooting it at 70# with a 28" draw. I want the finished arrow weight to be about 385 grains.

Any and all opinions are welcomed.

Jake
    I am figuring you are looking for a hunting arrow, otherwise I'd imagine you'd want an arrow as close to 350grns as possible. Some people will even go lighter.

With a Camo Finshed Gold Tip Hunter XT arrow cut at 29", 5" feather fletching, the standard GT nock, and a 100grain head with the insert, you'll end up with an arrow at very close to 385 grains after everything is glued up. I know this because I have shot this very arrow setup for years. They put up with a lot of abuse. If you want an arrow a little bit cheaper you can go with the Expedition Hunter series arrow in camo and get the same weight. The XT's have +/- .003 straightness tolerance, while the Expeditions have +/- .006. You'll have an FOC balance of about 12%.

If it's a target arrow the Gold Tip Ultra Light Pro has +/- .001 straightness tolerance and +/- .5 weight tolerance. At 7.3 grns per inch and 29" arrow you'll end up right about 350grns or a bit lighter.

My opinion on the 5" feathers is because the fletching on an arrow is for stabilization of the arrow in flight. If for whatever reason the arrow leaves the bow slightly off or the arrow ticks something slightly during the flight, (grasses, leaves), the arrow will straighten back out quickly. In windy weather though the extra surface can cause more drifting, but will still keep the arrow flying straighter. Shorter feathers or vanes can add slight speed increases though. To me at the speeds of bows today this increase is out weighed by other benefits. The slight extra rear weight of the 5" feather also gives a better FOC balance.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I shoulda said my arrow length will be either 27 or 28 inches long. I would go heavier, but I need a decent mixture of speed and weight, because I do take long shots, I'm not scared to shoot at a deer 50-60 yards. My first turkey with a bow was at 71 yards.

I hate solocams, but this bow was way too good to pass up. If I can hit around 280 fps il be more than happy.

I love feathers, but not the 5" ones, I use a helical so those tend to drop a lot faster than I would like.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

easton bloodline is my next arrow for my new martin phantom x4, but havent see bloodline in person just yet but a new arrow from muddy sporting co but dont know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

my gt pro hunter cut down to 27.75 with 2" b;azers and 100grn tip come out to 388.