Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit Split Limbs on Older Bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retrofit Split Limbs on Older Bow?

Does anyone have their hands on a new 2013 Martin bow with split limbs that could tell me if it is possible to simply bolt them on a 2011 or 2012 bow? I have sent my Alien Z out to Martin to have the cams and limbs replaced and am thinking about calling them on Monday to see if I could buy the split limbs or pay for the difference in the cost of the limbs and hardware to update the Alien Z to split limbs. This might be a stupid idea, but that new Alien and Nemesis are just awesome with the split limbs. The risers on the Alien doesn't look radically different maybe they would bolt right up. I need to get new cables and a string anyways??

Post Thanks / Like

no play on this one at all for huh Lab Rat?

I'll take a stab here, and say that it is entirely plausible that the split limbs will fit on other models than those in the catalog... you'd just have to get the limb pockets from Martin to go along with your new limbs. However, with new limbs and pockets, the bow's specs may not be the same, and you'd have to talk to Martin about keeping limb deflection about the same.

If I'm wrong here, (I may very well be; its been known to happen) I'd be glad to hear from some of our more experienced archers...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that would be a big factor for me IMO is if you could still back the limb bolts out to change strings or install a peep sight, that's one thing I've always loved about my martins
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine it's possible....

would love to hear from the martin people (joel c) if it's possible

Post Thanks / Like

I took a closer look at the high def media download page, zooming in on the limb pockets and pivot points...

The limb pockets themselves could probably be changed out, as the butts of the limbs are inserted into an (aluminum?) pocket that keeps them together, and the adjustment bolt runs through the pocket. But the trick (I think) would be the pivot points; it looks as though the pivot points are probably what keeps the limbs in the pockets, as well as helps in alignment; I don't think these are the simple rounded points we've seen on the solid (single) limb bows, but probably go a little deeper into the limbs to grab them and hold the limbs in the pockets. Whether or not these can be changed out would be the question, I think...
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

I too believe that the ends of the risers are different and wont allow you to put the split limb setup on earlier bows.
    Also - there is a couple posts on an earlier thread by someone who did physically have the '13's in hand that stated they are different.
    Joel may have even commented on it but I cant remember for sure and havent ran across that thread yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses. I figured that the riser ends were a little different. I guess I will just have to buy a new one -- how am I going to explain this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    how am I going to explain this one.
    You "need" it. LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tis easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission...

But be prepared to sleep on the couch lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Tis easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission...

But be prepared to sleep on the couch lol!
    That's when you keep a bed in the garage.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com