Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to adjust arrow rest to the right (Onza 3)

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had to adjust arrow rest to the right (Onza 3)

Compared to my initial Onza 3 tuning almost a year ago (shooting "bullet holes" to paper and broadheads hitting the same spot with field tips), the biggest drift has been with the need to move my arrow rest more to the right to maintain proper tuning (the bow is RH model). The change was more than 1/10" compared to the initial tuning. The nocking point needed almost no adjustment.

Actually there is not much extra vane clearance left anymore with the riser after this adjustment, the rest is so close to the riser now. I would have rather kept the arrow rest where it was...

I wonder what actually causes this. The cables (and most probably, also the string) have stretched a bit, but does it have an effect to this? I could imagine that as stretching of the cables decreases some tension, also the sideways component of the force (due to the cable guard) decreases. And this would then cause the need to adjust the arrow rest sideways, as the "side balance" of the bow becomes different. But I wouldn't have expected such a relatively large need of sideways adjustment. If this theory was correct, I could of course add some twists to the cables and string and get the situation back to where it was.

Last spring, I changed the cable slide to a model that lets the cables stay closer to the center, since I could get enough vane clearance even so. I remember that I had to move my sight pins a bit to the right after that. I don't remember if I also had to re-tune the arrow rest, though. I think I will test this tomorrow with another cable slide that takes the cables more to the side. I would expect the tuning to change.

I don't recall having noticed a similar tuning issue with my old bow (Martin Phantom II, not a parallel limb bow).
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-15-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I would do is check your spec's ata, brace hgt. poundage and go from there
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    The first thing I would do is check your spec's ata, brace hgt. poundage and go from there
    Could do that, but I would like to understand what really causes the difference with the arrow rest and if my reasoning above was any good.

Brace height is unchanged (with my measurement accuracy, anyway), ATA is a bit longer (1/4...1/2" if I remember correctly), indicating some stretch. Pounds I didn't measure yet.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-15-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Did you change arrows or anything like that? Did you sight window get bumped one way or another?
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Did you change arrows or anything like that?
    No.

Did you sight window get bumped one way or another?
    Not sure if I understood the question...

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider is that as your strings stretch, your poundage will go down a little, making the arrows you use seem a little "stiffer" than they were before. This could, I suppose, (depending on the amount of stretch/loss) change your center slightly...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    I wonder what actually causes this. The cables (and most probably, also the string) have stretched a bit, but does it have an effect to this? I could imagine that as stretching of the cables decreases some tension, also the sideways component of the force (due to the cable guard) decreases. And this would then cause the need to adjust the arrow rest sideways, as the "side balance" of the bow becomes different.
    After some more thinking, I'd say this cannot be the reason. Considering the force sideways, the decreased tension of the cables due stretching would pretty much equal just backing the limb bolts out. And I have never seen that having an effect to arrow rest adjustment.

Next theory: perhaps the limbs have twisted slightly over time...? Need to check cam lean. When I first got the bow, there was none.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-16-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

It's the cable slide!

I have been experimenting with different models to find one with minimal friction, to ensure reliable operation of my QAD Ultrarest HD arrow rest (that's another long story). Different models vary with how far to the side they pull the cables. I checked today and I could see the difference in paper test between two models. And with broadhead test, I even noticed a clear vertical effect, which was a little surprising.

Don't take changing your cable slide lightly - you may need to retune your bow

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting, I will have to keep that in mind. Congrats on solving your own mystery.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

You should experiment with the bent cable slide rod or a tilt tamer. They will radically change the center shot of the bow. It is amazing how much you can feel in the riser. I could feel the torque in the riser in my bow hand. When I unhook the cable slide it immediately releases the side torque and you can feel it in your bow hand. This was with the Z. My Onza is stiffer though with the bridged riser.