Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to adjust arrow rest to the right (Onza 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    Could your draw length change enough to mess up form?
    It is indeed 1/4" longer now than initially. Feels very good still and my bow arm is not overly straight. Don't think so.

Also could you be getting any rest or facial contact?
    If there was some fault in my Ultra Rest HD, then maybe. Didn't test this with powder or anything, but since I could get the bow back in tune with arrow rest adjustment, so I don't think this is the case.

Also have you tried a bare shaft?
    No. Paper and broadhead tuning. I use paper test to bring tuning close, then finalize it with broadhead tuning.

So basically there is no big problem - the arrows fly great now, I just wonder what caused the need to adjust the arrow rest more to the right. One thing though: I use No-peep, and since I also had to adjust my sight pins more to the right, the No-peep blocks the sight picture more than before - it also almost blocks the bubble level of the sight. That's one reason why I preferred my initial tuning. Although this could be fixed by moving the No-peep to an upper position on its mounting bracket.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    I wonder what actually causes this. The cables (and most probably, also the string) have stretched a bit, but does it have an effect to this? I could imagine that as stretching of the cables decreases some tension, also the sideways component of the force (due to the cable guard) decreases. And this would then cause the need to adjust the arrow rest sideways, as the "side balance" of the bow becomes different.
    After some more thinking, I'd say this cannot be the reason. Considering the force sideways, the decreased tension of the cables due stretching would pretty much equal just backing the limb bolts out. And I have never seen that having an effect to arrow rest adjustment.

Next theory: perhaps the limbs have twisted slightly over time...? Need to check cam lean. When I first got the bow, there was none.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-16-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

It's the cable slide!

I have been experimenting with different models to find one with minimal friction, to ensure reliable operation of my QAD Ultrarest HD arrow rest (that's another long story). Different models vary with how far to the side they pull the cables. I checked today and I could see the difference in paper test between two models. And with broadhead test, I even noticed a clear vertical effect, which was a little surprising.

Don't take changing your cable slide lightly - you may need to retune your bow

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting, I will have to keep that in mind. Congrats on solving your own mystery.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

You should experiment with the bent cable slide rod or a tilt tamer. They will radically change the center shot of the bow. It is amazing how much you can feel in the riser. I could feel the torque in the riser in my bow hand. When I unhook the cable slide it immediately releases the side torque and you can feel it in your bow hand. This was with the Z. My Onza is stiffer though with the bridged riser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    You should experiment with the bent cable slide rod or a tilt tamer. They will radically change the center shot of the bow. It is amazing how much you can feel in the riser. I could feel the torque in the riser in my bow hand. When I unhook the cable slide it immediately releases the side torque and you can feel it in your bow hand. This was with the Z. My Onza is stiffer though with the bridged riser.
    One reason why I wanted to experiment with different cable slides was minimizing torque. The original cable slide had excessive vane clearance, therefore it induces torque in vain - not that I would have noticed any problem with it, though.

I was considering tilt tamer / bent rod at some point, but wasn't convinced that they would actually increase accuracy. So I didn't purchase one for testing it.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 01-17-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003