Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY's sweeping new gun legislation... what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Default NY's sweeping new gun legislation... what do you think?

Here's a quick breakdown of what NY is proposing, and what the current administration may be trying to do. Some of this just makes my head hurt, and cause me to wonder what the future holds for our 2nd Amendment rights.

Provisions in a sweeping gun control bill before the New York Legislature:

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

—Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be recertified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Hitler, Staling, pol pot and others communists or dictators would be proud!. In order to conquer a people...you must disarm them first.

Post Thanks / Like

The legitimate gun owners are not happy with this infringement on our Constitutional rights that will do nothing to stop criminals. A main point of contention is how this was rushed through by our Governor, sidestepping the required 3 day discussion period, by declaring there was an urgent need for the new laws. It is also clear that Cuomo is using this as a springboard to the Whitehouse.

All the legislators from my area, way upstate, voted against; of course this was mostly supported by the Dems from the high population areas near NYC.

One State Senator has started a petition to repeal that is getting a lot of signatures, and a lawyer is starting a class-action suit in Federal court, pro-bono(free) for anyone interested.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Hitler, Staling, pol pot and others communists or dictators would be proud!. In order to conquer a people...you must disarm them first.
    They don't plan on stopping with NY. The President used children at todays news conference, history does repeat itself.

Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

For many months before Paul Revere made his ride, tension between the Colonists and British Troops had been on the rise, both in the city and in surrounding towns. The Royal Government (the British government in Massachusetts) wanted to ensure that troops would be able to secure the colony in case of rebellion. Orders went out to confiscate weapons that the Colonists had been storing throughout the countryside.

Several parties of British troops had been sent up the coast to confiscate ammunition in Salem and parts of what is now New Hampshire. In both of those cases, Paul Revere and other riders who were members of the Sons of Liberty, alerted the townspeople of the movement of British troops well before those troops could reach their destinations. The munitions were successfully hidden and the British troops were humiliated

When General Gage, the Commander of British forces in North America and a parishioner at Old North , decided to seize the weapons and ammunition at Lexington and Concord, he didn't want to risk another humiliating failure, so he devised a secret plan. On the evening of April 18 th , 1775, he would order his British soldiers cross the Charles River and march the remaining 15 miles to Lexington under the cover of darkness, arrive at sunrise to collect the armaments and return to Boston before the townspeople could organize their resistance.

However, someone found out about this secret plan—some believe it was General Gage's maid, some believe it was his own American-born wife, Margaret Kimball Gage, who informed the leaders of the Sons of Liberty that the troops were on the move by way of the shorter water route across the inner harbor.

Paul Revere and the Sons of Liberty had prepared for this troop movement and set about to alert their countrymen that the British Regulars (the British soldiers, sometimes referred to as Redcoats) were heading their way. Sending just one rider into the countryside was far too dangerous this time. Revere asked Robert Newman, the church sexton or caretaker, if he would send a back-up signal to warn the patriots in Charlestown, just in case Revere himself was captured on his ride before he could spread the alarm that the British were on the move.

Where is Paul Revere and the Sons of Liberty when we need them. I am sickened every time I hear that there is no reason to have assault weapons for hunting. The founders understood that an armed citizenry was the last defense against a government gone wrong. Imagine a government that is broke, that needs wealth to repay it's debts, that would confiscate it citizens gold (wealth), a government that would force churches to pay for abortions, a government that would use wire taps to spy on its citizens to keep them safe, a government like that would confiscate weapons if they only knew where they were at. If you don't comply letting them know where they are you are a felon. Join the NRA even if you don't own a gun. Vote. Pray. Pray for the true Patriots to have the courage to stand up to the masses even if they appear to be on the wrong side.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Lab Rat, thats quite the history lesson. We need more reminders of what our forefathers faced and dealt with in their establishment of this great nation.

Well met guys!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

We have it pretty easy. Just think how the founders felt fighting for the freedoms that we take for granted every day. Can you imagine signing a document basically thumbing your nose at the King, this was a death sentence at the time. Most of our leaders don't have the backbone to standup for what is right because they may not get re-elected. What do you think our founders would say about how we have taken care of the country? My wife is right, I shouldn't watch the news or read. I should just shoot arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

This wasn't proposed, it is my understanding that it was signed into law ...
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

My country does not allow weapon. Only those shotgun leftover (at least 50 years old)from the pass from the family then u still can have it with a condition where the shotgun is meant for crops protection purposes. Else, all the shotgun go back to the government, no more new license to be issued.
    Hand gun definately is not on the street.

To me, no matter how well you control the gun is useless. my neighbour division in my states, just the last few week, happens to have 3 murdering cases with a pistol. So where is the pistol come from???
    Neighbouring country? Smuggling? I donno. To me, if that fella have the intension to kill, he or she will find the way to get the weapon.

If a good2 hunting guys like us, we will only put amunition on those buck, and bull and not on human.

Its all about the person intension of using the weapon.

just my 2cent opinion.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Man has been killing each each other since the dawn of time and gun's weren't around back then. Why didn't they ban Box cutter after 9-11 ?. When a drunk driver mows down a person walking down the sidewalk and killing them. Or a group of kids crossing the street. Why are they still allowing people to drive cars?. Why do they allow them to make cars?. They kill people too.
    How about kitchen knives, Baseball weights, dumb bells, golf clubs Those have been used to kill more than once?. Why are they still allowed to be sold. A gun is just a tool. just like the items I mentioned above. They need to start addressing the mental and violent state of many Americans. How do you regulate crazy?.

It's the person using the tools fault. Not the tool manufacturing company.
    Last edited by Double S; 01-17-2013 at 08:14 AM.