Thread: Draw Modules

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw Modules

What are the condition of your draw modules? While setting up the Alien X, I inspected the draw modules and they have such sharp edges that they are sure to destroy the servings. Can anyone with a new 2013 bow tell me if Martin has made an improvement to this in 2013? I don't mean to rant, but my 12 year old's Diamond Razor Edge has a much smoother finished draw module. I now that this is a concern to look for and correct before letting too many arrows fly, but a new Martin customer may not think to look until they start cursing and forming negative opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard because most of us are aware that this could be a potential issue and most of us will file/sand the edge ourselves anyway. There is no way to get machining of certain parts completely perfect especially on a mass production level in my opinion. The educated will know what to look for/do, the others will not and that is too bad because it can cause a bit of a headache when they get crabby.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    There is no way to get machining of certain parts completely perfect especially on a mass production level in my opinion.
    My Martin Phantom II / 2003 has perfectly rounded module edges on both sides. So back then, it was possible Then again, these rotating modules are different, but does it explain it all, since one edge is rounded anyway?

I should ask a guy from our club who is a professional machinist.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled this picture from another post. If you look at the end of the draw module in the flat you will notice that the outside edge is machined flat. I have thought about doing this on my Onza, but have been too lazy. This picture was taken from another post dealing with another issue in 2009. I have noticed that the outside of the module on all of my cat style bows rub at this area, and the serving shows a little wear. I am wondering if the bow would quite down a little if the outside edge were flattened out to allow the down cable to miss the edge of the module on the shot. The module has got to be plucking the down cable as it contacts it? Have you guys tried this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely shouldnt even have to look for something like this for a long time. if you drive off the lot with a new car, would you look for tire/belt wear indicating problems like sharp edges,faulty machining,etc. in like your first month ? NO , you dont look for something like that for say maybe a year of everyday driving.
    you look for things of that nature when you buy USED wore out stuff, expecting to learn the little nuances of something that is already well broken in. definitely not on a brand new item, be it a fishing reel, car, or bow. there is no excuse for a modern manufacture to let any sharp edged anything (like sharp module/cam edges that can ruin strings) leave their facility that could potentially cause the customer damage or expense to the item they purchased from them.
    is this widespread, i dont know, but i dont like the sound of it being even fairly common.