Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...need some accessory advice for a '12 Martin Scepter V

Post Thanks / Like

Default ...need some accessory advice for a '12 Martin Scepter V

I just purchased a 2012 Martin Scepter V...like an hour ago. Now, for the fun, but costly part. I'm looking at making this a target bow and am looking at rest and sights. I recently switched from a QAD HDX to a TT Smackdown on my Carbon Matrix, so I'm leaning towards a TT for this bow. I've read all the threads with QAD versus Limbdriver versus Code Red versus Revolution versus TT...so I'm pretty set on Trophy Taker, just deciding between a Smackdown with no containment, just the whaletail launcher or a TT Spring Steel Pro. As far as sights, I've looked at HHA, Sure-Loc, Spott Hogg, etc...the liust goes on. Here again, I have a TruGlo MicroBrite on my Carbon Matrix and have no complaints, just looking for a target sight. As far as stabilizers, I'm gonna have to do a little more research on V-Bars, front weight and side weight. Once I get the bow in hand, I'll post some pics...also, I'm sure I'll need to talk to Hutch about some new threads...any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    2012 Martin Scepter V 60#
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT 60#
    2008 Martin Bamboo Viper 45# @ 28" AMO 64"
    1973 Damon Howatt Ventura 66" AMO 25#

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can't help you much on the accessories side of things, I shoot my bow practically bare. But I can say this, you made a great choice for a target bow!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so it's going to be strictly target> I've been that route and used some of the accessories you list. I'd recommend the TT Spring Steel and the SureLoc sight. Choose the scope of your choice and stabilizer setup, too.

I have had the SureLoc 3D Supreme and sights don't get much better than this. Very adjustable and precise. As for the Spring Steel or something similar? KISS.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

...okay, my new used scepter v came in today, and seeing as I had today off, I changed the drawlength to suit my DL and adjusted the drawstop. I put a TT Smackdown drop-away on her, set my nocking point, installed a d-loop and started shooting. It has the 45-60# limbs, and at 2 turns out, it was a REAL PLEASURE!!! to draw...I just kept shooting arrow after arrow...smooth-smooth draw...I've got a Toxonics Nail Driver sight on the way and I found a good deal on a Cartel carbon stabilizer...I didn't look for a crimson or red bow, but I got a good deal on the bow and had been wanting a scepter v...I was thinking about getting the riser dipped, but the crimson kind'a grows on ya?...I'm also thinking about talking to Hutch for some new threads...she looks bare for the moment...also, the camo b-stinger was one had laying around...it's temporary.
    photo (3).jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new bow, I think the red looks good with the carbon look limbs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks chip...the color does kind'a grow on you...the way this bow draws and holds is just awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some of my favorite accessories. CBE sight/scope, trophy taker rest, dead center stabilizers

Post Thanks / Like

...thanks for the input 60X...I know it's not just target archery or even just archery, but a good target sight can be pricey!...it's a good thing I'm in between GF's...hehehe...here's a pic with an older Toxonics that a buddy of mine loaned me til my Nail Driver comes arrives...I gotta do something about that wrist sling...I love the UF Gators, but doesn't fit visually...here again, one I had laying around...I'm still amazed at how smooth the draw cycle is on this bow!
    scepter v1.jpg

Sonny Thomas

Default need some accessory advice for a '12 Martin Scepter V

Sure Loc sight frames are hard to beat. Check classified in other forums and maybe pick up one less than half cost of new. Almost $300 new with 3rd axis. Add a quality scope and heading for $500 pretty easy.

The Super Peep is hard to beat with having different size orifices and clarifiers available. Pricey, but well worth. Never got along with the hooded version.
    Next for peep would be Fletchers. You can buy a handful and not get broke. Proven through years of use fear of cutting a bow string in non-existent. Those Red Eyes, G5s and whatever give me the willies.

Limb Savers. Probably the best to use if needed. I've shot 3 Shadowcats and never worried about vibration/noise whatsoever. I suspect the Scepter V would be as good or better.

Hammerhead strings. I see the green/black clashes a bit with the nice looking red riser. Good, bad or indifferent, factory strings are getting harder and harder to beat. Of recent years I don't change out factory strings unless I get a super deal or get them even better, for free. That's how much factory strings have improved from years back. The HammerHead strings I have now have probably more than 15,000 shots on them and still looking good. No stretch that I have noticed.