Yep, could have gotten hooked tonight. Wife was driving home and passed a kid that had hit a deer near where I've hunted with my dad. She said it was still alive and asked if I could come put it down so it doesn't suffer anymore. Reluctantly I said yeah and left the house. Got there and deer was still alive in the ditch, rear end both legs completely broken. Had my pistol with me so I put one in it's head feeling completely horrible about it, not how I'd ever want to have to kill a deer. Shortly after County showed up and started asking questions - told him I just came to help and put the animal down. He then asked for my ID, hunting license and tags so he could arrest me for illegally killing a deer.

Asked him if he was being serious and he said yeah. So I told him I was only out here because I've hunted here before and I respect the animals and didn't want it to suffer here. Didn't think any of it aside from that. Lucky enough he said he wasn't going to and I was able to walk. Helped a neighbor there dress the deer and get it loaded into his truck. I would have taken it, but only had my car so no real way of getting it home and my dad wasn't available.

Just a crazy way to put an end to the season, not to mention me blowing an opportunity at a doe on Saturday ...