Thread: So I almost got arrested tonight ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default So I almost got arrested tonight ...

Yep, could have gotten hooked tonight. Wife was driving home and passed a kid that had hit a deer near where I've hunted with my dad. She said it was still alive and asked if I could come put it down so it doesn't suffer anymore. Reluctantly I said yeah and left the house. Got there and deer was still alive in the ditch, rear end both legs completely broken. Had my pistol with me so I put one in it's head feeling completely horrible about it, not how I'd ever want to have to kill a deer. Shortly after County showed up and started asking questions - told him I just came to help and put the animal down. He then asked for my ID, hunting license and tags so he could arrest me for illegally killing a deer.

Asked him if he was being serious and he said yeah. So I told him I was only out here because I've hunted here before and I respect the animals and didn't want it to suffer here. Didn't think any of it aside from that. Lucky enough he said he wasn't going to and I was able to walk. Helped a neighbor there dress the deer and get it loaded into his truck. I would have taken it, but only had my car so no real way of getting it home and my dad wasn't available.

Just a crazy way to put an end to the season, not to mention me blowing an opportunity at a doe on Saturday ...
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

He was probably just mad because he did not get unload his high capacity magazine at it. Question, your cops can get you for hunting violations? It would have to be a warden here.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

While it is true in most states the state and county troopers help with game law enforcement, I think this guy might have either been flexing his authoritative muscles to intimidate you. Or perhaps he was trying to see if he could shake your story, IDK.

Just glad you didn't get into trouble!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

It'sw the same way here. ONLY a game warden or a law enforcement official can legally put down a game animal. Anyone else doing it can be arrested. Luckily, our sherrif's department is full of guys that know it's better to put down a deer than let it continue suffering until someone "official" shows up to do it. I've had several of them tell me to do it instead of wait on them. However, if they want to be (male appendages) about it, they can arrest you, impound your vehicle and weapon, sell them at auction, and prevent you from getting a hunting AND fishing license for up to 10 years I believe. The two times I have put animals down, I have called them first, and told them the situation. Then they gave me the OK to go ahead and do it.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say he was exerting his authority. It's just the way the law is in most places, Pa. included. Stupid, but that's the way it is. At least you got a guy who had a bit of common sense. Count your blessings.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I wouldn't say he was exerting his authority. It's just the way the law is in most places, Pa. included. Stupid, but that's the way it is. At least you got a guy who had a bit of common sense. Count your blessings.
    Yes, best friend is a cop and he said he was stunned that I didn't. But also said the reason I told the officer was good and might have been the deciding factor. I know they don't want to do the paperwork on discharging their firearm and go through the hassle of everything else. So, yes I got lucky and definitely will not be involving myself in any of these situations going forward even though I don't agree with it, I understand the reasoning/laws behind it.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you did the right thing or at least had the right intent, unlike the officer that shot the elk in CO.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba